Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

standards
You know this can get confusing. I have a needle & hook gauge where you can check the size by putting it in the hole. According to this a 3mm is a C but according to other sources:
http://www.yarnstandards.com/hooks.html

it isn't. The size depends on the page or chart you are using. I really wish there was a standard, OffjumpsJack!!!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mathwizard For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (02-03-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
Marria
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
I haven't seen any size C crochet hooks. That's why I recommented a size 1 steel hook 2.75 mm where as D is 3.25 mm. (well, those are Boye sizes in mm) I see Susan Bates has different mm sizes for these letters and numbers.

So if your hooks are Susan Bates, then C is 3 mm and a Bate steel hook size zero "0" is 2.55 mm.

Prinmel, are you using Boye hook, size D (3.25mm) and getting 4.72 inches (12 cm) or another brand of hook?

Aside from that, yarn weight might be part of the issue, no?

--Jack
I actually have a size C Boye hook and it is 2.75 mm. Another example of the letter/number system not being consistent across manufacturers...I guess the best thing to do is to just look at the actual mm size of the hook.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mathwizard View Post
You know this can get confusing.

The size depends on the page or chart you are using. I really wish there was a standard, OffjumpsJack!!!
I agree!! Girl! You are preaching to the choir. AMEN!

Boye is made by Wrights. Wrights dot com appears to be in the UK** (Correction, it is a USA company). (See "Wrights entry at wikidedia.org)

** I'm back. I was wrong about Wrights. Wrights was founded in West Warren, Massachusets, USA but has been bought and sold since then. A South Carolina company, Conso International Corp., and owner of the Simplicity Pattern Brand bought Wrights in 2001 and renamed it Wm. Wrights Co. with the official trademark now being Wrights.

Susan Bates is a brand of Coats & Clark, Inc. as are Read Heart, Aunt Lydia, Fiskars, et al. It has a UK Flag (see Coats entry at wikipedia.org)

So, I guess it may be an unresolved "Independance" issue crossing "the pond."

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 02-03-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: More detail and references.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

needle sizes
Let me throw a wrench in all the charts. I have a set of steel crochet hooks older than me and they were my mother's. None of the charts lists them. They are Betsy Ross hooks and the smaller hooks have caps on them and they were made in Germany. I will get a picture of them on the site so all can see. The smallest hook is a size 15 and none of the charts I have seen list a size 15.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Marria
Working the Gusset

Do they have anything that tells you the width? Or are they just marked with numbers? If so, sounds like it's time to get out your hook/needle gauge.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

width/numbers
No there is no width just numbers. I use my hook gauge all the time. To make matters worse, my son got me Addi interchangable knitting needles for Christmas and their sizes are different. Their mm needles are not the same size as ours and maybe that is why they include an Addi turbo needle gauge. We should band together and come up with a standard and present it to both Knitting and Crochet Guilds and the makers of yarn!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Another Country Heard From...
No there is no width just numbers. I use my hook gauge all the time. To make matters worse, my son got me Addi interchangable knitting needles for Christmas and their sizes are different. Their mm needles are not the same size as ours and maybe that is why they include an Addi turbo needle gauge.

Did you know, Addi's are made in Germany. (distributed in U.S. by Skacel Knitting)

We should band together and come up with a standard and present it to both Knitting and Crochet Guilds and the makers of yarn!

That's what we want!

I think it is what www.yarnstandards.com is attempting to establish.

Originally Posted by YarnStandards.com
The publishers, fiber, needle and hook manufacturers and yarn members of the Craft Yarn Council of America have worked together to set up a series of guidelines and symbols to bring uniformity to yarn, needle and hook labeling and to patterns, whether they appear in books, magazines, leaflets or on yarn labels. Our goal is to make it easier for industry manufacturers, publishers and designers to prepare consumer-friendly products and for consumers to select the right materials for a project and complete it successfully.
But then...

When was the last time American, German, and Brittish companies all agreed on something? (I have no idea.)

Thus designers include guage or tension information with their patterns.

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote