Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. UPDATE: pg. 3
Has anyone ever made these? Do they really taste close to what mashed potates taste like or is it completely off?

I'm quite the fussy eater so make sure to tell me the truth!

Last edited by bailsmom : 02-18-2009 at 04:41 PM.
bailsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Makes me gag just thinking of it. I hate cauliflower, brussel sprouts and can barely tolerate broccoli.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Doesn't taste exactly like mashed potatoes, but it's not bad.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

HMMM - I like raw cauliflower and steamed cauliflower that still retains some crunch. In general not a fan of overcooked/overprocessed veggies that become mushy and slimey.

So the more important question is do you like cauliflower? If yes, then why cook it to death, ruin its nutritional value and mush it up? And if you don't like cauliflower then I don't think cooking it to death and mushing it into baby food will make it more palatable.

I vote NO on the cauliflower mashed potatoes.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I like cauliflower (can't say LOVE it) but the thought of cauliflower mashed potatoes sound like BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I vote no too!!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I had mashed cauliflower (though I don't think it was with potatoes) once when my sister made them, and they were actually pretty good. They didn't have an overwhelmingly cauliflower flavor too them - I mostly tasted the things they were mashed with. I think she used a WW recipe - I went looking for one, but only found a thread on the WW boards: http://www.weightwatchers.com/commun...e=OPENDATEDESC
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (02-02-2009)
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I roast most of my veggies, but mashed cauliflower doesn't have to lose all it's vitamins and such. Steam it, put it in a bowl with some warmed 2% milk and butter if you wish, and mash away. It'll never taste like mashed potatoes to you, but I like it better. Since there isn't a vegetable grown in the States that I don't like, I'm pretty good with anything but boiling them. Until last December I didn't like Brussel Sprouts, but roasted with a bit of olive oil and some garlic, they're wonderful.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Gertie (02-04-2009), lelvsdgs (02-02-2009)
Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone. When I say cauliflower mashed potatoes I don't mean cauliflower with mashed potatoes. I mean in place of mashed potatoes. See we're venturing into a different kind of eating, less carbs. I've seen and heard of this type of substitute for mashed potatoes so I was just wondering if anyone here has actually had them. Obviously they would be seasoned and such to make them taste less like cauliflower and more like a potato. I get the fact that they aren't going to taste exactly like potatoes but was wondering if they came close before I wasted my time and money.

Let me also add that we aren't cutting out carbs altogether, we're just going to try it little by little. We aren't cold-turkey type of people. Everything in moderation.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Get a small head and try it out. You won't know if you like it that way until you try it. I wouldn't put gravy on it though....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Not to hijack your thread, but I thought potatoes were one of the "good" carbs. They get a bad rep on the glycemic index, but they are actually good for you and high in vitamins and minerals. There is even part of the potato that acts like fiber in cleaning the colon and helping you feel full. Do you like yams? They are lower on the glycemic index than a white potato and even higher in vitamins etc than white potatoes. I actually try to buy the garnet yams from whole foods (so yummy). I bake them in the oven with the skin on and then cut them open and eat like a baked pot (without the butter, sour cream etc). You can also mash them after baking and stir in a little salt, brown sugar, sauteed onion and apple and they are sooo yummy. I think baking them keeps the flavor stronger than steaming/boiling. Same goes with rice, white rice is high on the glycemic index, but brown and wild rice are a bit lower b/c of the higher fiber content.
Rather than looking for something to be a "mashed potato" what about trying new veggies cooked in new ways to fill the empty spot on your plate and make mashed taters as a treat once a month. I've been doing this with the hubby, we've had grilled asparagus, glazed carrots, oven roasted veggies, 4 bean salad, squash and onions, green beans and slivered almonds......
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote