Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
kristaj
1st Leg of the Journey

Accident with current project
My daughter accidentally spilled water on a picture she had colored with markers (washable markers) and it spread onto the scarf I am making right now out of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. The scarf now has patches of dark purple and green on the cream and pale pink. What I would like to know is, can you try to wash and stain remove a project while it is on the needles? It is on interchangeable needles, so I can take it off the tips and cap the cables, but is there anything else I should do since it is unfinished? If I have to I can frog the stained portion, but I can't replace one color of the yarn since this color has been discontinued, so I would have to change that stripe. This scarf is a gift and these two colors are the recipients favorite colors so I would like to try to remove the stains. Any suggestions?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
MrsP
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh my goodness!!! I can only imagine how you feel!! I live in terror of something like that happening to me - I have a two year old and she is VERY interested in everythiing Mommy does.

Since your cashmerino is washable, I think that is a good sign, but I can't imagine washing an unfinished project - you would have to wash the yarn it was attached to as well, and I think you would just end up with a knottted mess!! My inclination would be depending on how far along you are is to just finish the scarf and then try washing it when you are done, but you run the risk of finishing and having it be ruined. You could try handwashing the stained part in the sink - then you would have control over it the whole time.

Good luck!! Let us know how it comes out!!

OTN: fingerless gloves

I am MandaPen on Ravelry!!
MrsP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsP For This Useful Post:
kristaj (02-04-2009)
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Marria
Working the Gusset

I don't think you'd have to wash the yarn it was attached to. I would take a piece of contrasting yarn (make sure it's colorfast! I'd use a synthetic yarn), thread your stitches onto that and knot it really well, cut your working yarn, then carefully handwash it with some woolite, or even a small amount of mild laundry detergent. Since the markers are washable, they may very well come out.

If you do this-a tip for getting your stitches back on the needle afterward--use a needle size two sizes smaller and then slip your stitches from that back onto the needle you will knit with.

If you can't get the stain out, you might go on Ravelry and see if anyone has any of the color you need to sell or trade.

Good luck!

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
kristaj (02-04-2009)
Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
rosebudsmom
Casting On

If you go to this link: http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/staintips/
Crayola has lots of tips for removing their various products. If the markers weren't Crayola, it will still give you a good idea of what steps to take to remove the ink.
rosebudsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosebudsmom For This Useful Post:
Denise in Michigan (02-04-2009), kristaj (02-04-2009), Marria (02-04-2009)