Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
I could cry....
I’ve been dying for a knitting machine… i’ve been looking them up online, checking out you tube videos for nearly 2 years dying for a knitting machine…

So I finally order one last night… it has the extender, the intarsia plate, etc… thinking how great it’ll be that i can go and whip things off quick when i feel like it and how i’ll NEVER HAVE TO DO STOCKINETTE STITCH AGAIN (I HATE doing stockingette stitch, esp on sweaters or blankets!!!!) So i punch in my code for my 40% off (even with shipping saving myself over 60 bucks)…

and then my dh opens his mouth. “So, how long will it take you to make sweaters on it?” um…..

“you know, now that you’ve got this coming you can go and whip gifts off quick…. so now if we ever need a last minute gift for someone….” um……

Now i don’t even have the desire to work on anything. at all. period. end of discussion…

and i’m considering returning all of my unopened knitting purchases I’ve made over the last 3 weeks…. which includes quite a bit of sock yarn (it’s all from Joann’s or Micheals).

I could cry.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Could you seize the opportunity to explain the advantages and disadvantages of the machine, what you can and can't do? Look at the positive, he is enthusiastic but just doesn't understand.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
tokmom
Turning the Heel

I'm sorry you are all discouraged now. Overall it must be quicker. As for your husband, when you get the knitting machine, put him in the box and send it back.
Have fun with your machine and I hope you decide to keep it. Hubby will see that knitting, no matter how it's done, takes time!

Speaking of saving, and not sure where you ordered it, but sign up for ebates at ebates.com When you shop through them, they give you a kickback by the percentage you spent. They then cut a check to you every 3 months. I have bought plenty of yarn with those checks.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
I called and cancelled the order but she said it may have already been shipped out without the system having been updated...

what's your e-mail on ebates so I can put you in the referral e-mail? I use mypoints, i get so many points per dollar when i shop through them that can be put towards gift certs (for me though, it takes a very long time for those points to accumulate, esp since they keep raising the number of points required for gift certs).
Old 02-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
MrsP
1st Leg of the Journey

I am sorry that you are upset by what your dh said. It takes the fun out of doing stuff when it becomes expected or devalued.

Maybe you should try to turn it around and look at it like this:

DH said how long will it take and can you make things fast for last minute, right?

So, I would interpret that as: You need to go and buy MORE yarn so that you always have enough yarn in your stash to make whatever you need "last minute." He is giving you permission to increase the stash so you are prepared! :-)

And, if he says - he we are going to need a gift for so and so, then that means he is giving you the go ahead to work on the projects right and other things like, cleaning, cooking, and other things we are expected to squeeze in around our knitting time can slide.

I think it is a comliment that he thinks the things you make are nice gifts!!

Good luck. I am sorry you are discouraged!

OTN: fingerless gloves

I am MandaPen on Ravelry!!
MrsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I guess I don't understand why you cancelled our order if it is something you have wanted for so long.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

Sometimes husbands say the stupidest things. Have a talk with him about the machine and tell him that you won't be able to whip out sweaters even though you have a machine, etc. Then, if the discussion goes south, do what Tokmom says and ship him back in the box. But honestly though, he's probably totally clueless about the machine. That's why I think you should talk to him about it and not send it back in a fit of anger. I have learned, the hard way I might add, not to do anything no matter what it is when you're upset or angry.

Hope it works out for you,

Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I think you may have taken what your husband said the wrong way. We all can say things that we mean to be supportive that are misunderstood. Has he objected to your knitting in the past? Does he resent what you have spent on supplies and tools?
If my husband said it I would assume it was a clumsy way of a joking support of the purchase. My husband is amazed at the amount of pieces I get done and wonders what I'm going to do with all the clothing I've made.
I would talk it over with hubby and try and work it out so there is no lingering resentment on either side.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
shelluie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by LilHuskiesFootBallMom View Post
I’ve been dying for a knitting machine… i’ve been looking them up online, checking out you tube videos for nearly 2 years dying for a knitting machine…

So I finally order one last night… it has the extender, the intarsia plate, etc… thinking how great it’ll be that i can go and whip things off quick when i feel like it and how i’ll NEVER HAVE TO DO STOCKINETTE STITCH AGAIN (I HATE doing stockingette stitch, esp on sweaters or blankets!!!!) So i punch in my code for my 40% off (even with shipping saving myself over 60 bucks)…

and then my dh opens his mouth. “So, how long will it take you to make sweaters on it?” um…..

“you know, now that you’ve got this coming you can go and whip gifts off quick…. so now if we ever need a last minute gift for someone….” um……

Now i don’t even have the desire to work on anything. at all. period. end of discussion…

and i’m considering returning all of my unopened knitting purchases I’ve made over the last 3 weeks…. which includes quite a bit of sock yarn (it’s all from Joann’s or Micheals).

I could cry.
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't understand what made you so upset? If my DH said that to me, I would have taken it as he's excited for me to get a machine that will allow me to make things faster and because of that, I would be able to make more gifts to give to people.
shelluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,804 Times in 7,163 Posts
I don't understand why you're upset either because it does seem like a good way to make quicker gifts and sweaters.

At any rate... forgive him.. he's a man and they often don't have a filter so things come out sounding different than what they mean.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote