Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Yarn substitution
I just swatched for the Favorite Cardigan in my sig.

I'm using Patons Classic Wool, rather than the ArtYarns Supermerino called for. The gauge is 18st and 26 rows = 4". I'm getting 20 st and 26 rows = 4 in. The Patons is a slightly lighter yarn - 223 yd/100g vs 208g/100g, so I'm not surprised, really. I'm hitting the gauge on the ball band exactly. I don't really want to go up a needle size because it *is* a lighter yarn, and this cardigan needs a firmer fabric to maintain its shape.

Right now, I'm washing the swatch to see what it will do. I'm thinking I'm going to go up a size knitting - the S is supposed to cast on at 24.4 in if it was stockinette, and with my gauge, the M casts on just a shade under 24 in. The swatch is very stretchy width-wise, which is good, because I want some serious negative ease.

I have enough yarn to do either size, so that's not a worry.

What to do, what to do....

Basic Socks in Chili
Favorite Cardigan from Custom Knits in Patons Classic Wool in Black

FO: Baby Blanket in Antique White - no hood, moss green ribbon intertwined.
Fetching in Blue Dreamweave.
Hooded Cardi in Light Heather Gray.
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You don't want to match the gauge on the label, that's just to show what weight range the yarn falls in. You're right to not go up in needle size to try to match the pattern gauge. If you like how the knit looks at the gauge you have, then use the larger size. You might also wash and block your swatch (you don't have to cut the yarn, just BO and leave it attached) to see if the yarn stretches a lot or shrinks or whatever. Also, make sure your swatch is larger than 4".

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
mimi (02-09-2009), Mirl56 (02-09-2009), outdoordrea (02-09-2009), TrishL1975 (02-09-2009)
Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

I was pretty sure I didn't *want* to match the gauge on the ball band - but I did. The fabric is a lot lighter than I expected - the pictures look almost plush and chunky, but that could be the rib and cabling vs. stockinette.

I was very pleased by how washing and a small amount of blocking (only enough to straighten the rows a little) made the fabric behave. The "stockinette curl" disappeared totally, the stitches evened out, and the wool softened dramatically. It didn't shrink at all (still 20 st and 27 rows to 4 in) even in warm water. My swatch is a good 8 in x 6 1/2 in with a garter border, so I had plenty of places to measure multiple times.

Looks like I'm going to go up a size knitting - there is NO way I want this fabric to have bigger stitches than it does, the yarn just won't support it. If I modify it, it'll be in the length where it calls for knitting even for a certain distance, and in the sleeves. I'll probably reverse the cable on one side - I'm fussy about symmetry, and holding the cable needle to the front rather than the back is no big deal.

Basic Socks in Chili
Favorite Cardigan from Custom Knits in Patons Classic Wool in Black

FO: Baby Blanket in Antique White - no hood, moss green ribbon intertwined.
Fetching in Blue Dreamweave.
Hooded Cardi in Light Heather Gray.
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrishL1975 For This Useful Post:
Marria (02-09-2009)
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Marria
Working the Gusset

I know what you mean about asymmetry. I made my nephew a sweater with a center design that had 4 st. cables on either side of it, and they were both left leaning. I had to reverse the other one or it would have made me crazy.

I think your plan is a good one. Please post a pic when you're done. I'd love to see it.

(Also-just as an aside, I love Patons Classic Wool--I think it's great yarn for the price.)

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote