Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

When does "fussy" become "too fussy"?
So, I'm making my first Fair Isle piece, a simple little beret with a fairly easy pattern. Yesterday, I decided that I was going to finish it (because I've just got too many pieces on the needles, and it was making my psychic skin itch). Sure enough, by the end of the day, I had decided to frog back to the first few inches. I'd learned enough about Fair Isle by last night and how relaxed you have to carry the yarn across the back, and the first bits where I'd gotten it too tight were really bugging me. I knew that if I left it like that, it would mean that I would enjoy wearing the hat a lot less.

My partner just smiled and shook his head, and his sister thinks I'm way too OCD!

How fussy are you about small mistakes, things that other people look at and say, "what mistake?" or some such? When is it worth it to you to frog or tink back, and when is it not? Does the thought of wearing or giving something with a mistake in it give you a mental rash, or do you not really care?

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm pretty fussy...unless it's an easy fix on the row/round...I will frog or tink back. I know the mistake is there and it will drive me crazy...I wish I could just let some of them go I would get more done that way

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (02-14-2009)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Debbie
Working the Gusset

One of the things I like most about knitting is having the option to "do over" ... what other craft or needlework art besides knitting and crochet do you get to do that without ruining your "supplies" ? There are some mistakes it doesn't bother me to leave and others that just have to be fixed .... and they can be the exact same mistake ... different day I like having the choice. I love both the process and the product !

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

If it's going to be visible in the finished product I will definitely fix it. I'm working a lot of lace right now and the stitches have to be correct. I hate getting to the end of a row and finding my stitch count is off. I have to go back and track where the generally lost stitch went
Fair Isle that has the floats too tight is going to affect the shaping and fit of the item. I would have frogged and started over as well.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I'm far from obsessive about my knitting and I wouldn't even call myself fussy; actually I have no shame about ignoring certain mistakes or working around them as long as they don't make the whole piece look shabby.

If I were in your place, though, I'd rip out the not-so-nice stranding and do it over. (a) It's not an enormous piece and it won't take you long to do it over; (b) the first time around was practice, the second will be perfect; (c) it's obviously giving you enough of a mental rash that you'll be happier if you redo it; (d) tight, puckered Fair Isle really looks crappy.

As for your partner and his sister: let them do what they want with their knitting (and I'll bet neither of them knits); this is yours, and it's your opinion that counts. (I'll also bet that neither of them is a psychiatrist and capable of diagnosing OCD.)
Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
shelluie
1st Leg of the Journey

I think it's all about how YOU feel. If it's bugging you, then it's probably always going to bug you if you don't frog it. For me it depends on how bad the mistake is...if it's just a minor little flaw, then I'd probably just keep going, but if it was something more major, I'd frog it.
shelluie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shelluie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Marria
Working the Gusset

I tend to be pretty fussy and if I am not satisfied with the look, I will frog. (This doesn't even especially have to be about mistakes, but being dissatisfied with how the fabric is coming out).

I will say, though, that if I find a mistake, I will "read" my knitting and try to find a way to fix it without frogging, if it won't be noticeable. For example, if I forgot to do an increase somewhere, if I can get away with doing it on a later row, I won't frog.

Overall, though, I'm pretty picky. I take a lot of pride in my knitting and I'd rather redo it multiple times to get it the way I want it.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Yep, I'd frog it and start over, too. I think it becomes TOO fussy when you've d one it six times and find every little fault- not once after you've learned something and want to improve it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Marria (02-14-2009)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Marria
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Yep, I'd frog it and start over, too. I think it becomes TOO fussy when you've d one it six times and find every little fault- not once after you've learned something and want to improve it.
Very well put, Jan!

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Oh, my partner is just amused when I insist on fixing something he can't even see, and his sister is just teasing. I just think its funny they can't see the glaring mistakes I see! heehehe

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote