Old 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
pizzamonster555
Casting On

Ribbing Scarf
I'm going to make a scarf using ribbing stitch. I want to know what kind of cast on to use. I prefer long tail cast on, but will it change the pattern because the first row would be just knit stitch? Also, how many stitches wide should a scarf be? I made one with 35 stitches but it seemed a little wide. I was using Lion Brand Lion Suede yarn. Size 9 needles.
pizzamonster555 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I'm guessing it depends on the yarn and the needle size how many stitches you'd cast on. 35 does seem like a lot for a bulky yarn. I have a pattern for a ribbed scarf that I'll be doing soon that casts on 35 but it uses worsted weight yarn and size US6 needles so I'm thinking that would be just about right. I'll try different cast on methods until I find what I like but truth be told, I'm partial to the crochet cast on. I just like the edge it makes. I don't know if it will work well with the ribbing pattern but we'll see. If it doesn't, I'll try the long tail cast on next.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Marria
Working the Gusset

I would go ahead and use the long tail cast on if you want to. I've made a few ribbed scarves and that's the one I always used. It works fine for me.

I agree that 35 stitches is probably too many for a bulky yarn, even for a ribbing scarf that will pull in. However, you could cast on and knit for a few inches and see if you like the width. If not, then you can frog and adjust your width. That's what I usually end up doing when I'm not working from a pattern.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you use the long tail CO, it really really doesn't make a row, it's still a cast on. So you can use it and start the ribbing on the next row. After a couple inches, you won't be able to tell.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote