Knit Picks Options 31 70.45%
Boye's 2 4.55%
Denise Interchangeables 10 22.73%
Other 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

What's BEST Internchangeable Circular Needles?
I have the Boye's interchangeables and the only thing I don't like about them is that they are a little rough where the needle screws into the cable. Are they ALL that way? What do you use and recommend?
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Hi Arielluria,
I have both a Boye Set and a Knit Picks Options (nickle plated) set. I like the Options better because the tips are more tapered, and I just like working with nickle plated needles. The actual cable/chord is fantastic!! It's very flexible, yet strong; so you don't have to worry about boiling them to get pliable.

I still use my Boye set, and the only thing that I really don't like about them is the stiffness of the cable. I don't like having to boil them to get them to flex comfortably. As far as the smoothness of the join where the cable connects to the needle, my Boye joins are fine; they've never snagged anything when I use them. Maybe you have a defective set??
Of the two, I recommend Knit Picks Options (nickle plated). They aren't cheap; but if you can afford a long term knitting tools investment, definately save up for them.
Hope that helps!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Oh boy.. there are dozens of post on this subject. Here's an old poll with comments.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...nterchangeable

If you use the search and type in Interchangeable Needles you'll get a ton more.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Arielluria
Instepping Out

WOW! Thanks! That totally answers my question. I'm going to put the KP Options really win out!!!!!!!!!

I WOULD like to know if anyone else has the problem on their Boyes that I do (above).

Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
alioop
Casting On

Addi Turbo Interchangeables
I just read a write-up (Interweave Knits, Spring 2009) on Addi interchangeables. I haven't seen or tried them. Bet they are good and expensive!!
alioop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
bambi
Working the Gusset

I didn't have the exact same problem you did on the Boye's but I found that it would catch after the join where the taper widens again. I also found the cords to be super stiff. I was getting tendonitis from using them.

I got some KP options and the tendonitis left. They work like a dream! So well, in fact, that I would like a second pair someday.

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

http://www.eunnyjang.com/images/knit...o_the_wave.pdf
I'm making the above shawl to use as a scarf and I'm using my KP Harmonys and I'm so glad I have them. I used 2 24' cables to knit the 2 center pieces and after joining the ends with kitchener stitch I picked up the stitches at the other ends with the provisional cast on with the 24' cables and used my end caps to hold them while I picked up stitches down the long side with my 40" cable and worked on around. I seemed to be continually screwing a needle tip off and putting on an end cap and vice versa. I'm now knitting a border on and holding my live stitches on the 40" cable with one needle tip and an end cap so I don't drop stitches off the back end.
Just this item alone makes the investment in interchangeables worth while.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
holamiis
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh my i am so sick of my Boye's. I have the exact same problem as Arielluria. The larger sizes are rough (like they need to be sanded down) and I have a problem with the transition from cable to larger needle sizes, sometimes its almost impossible! Knitpicks Harmony, one day you will be mine!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Arielluria
Instepping Out

FYI, the roughness on my Boye's where the needle ends and cable screws in, is not ONLY on the larger sizes, it's all, size 7 and 8, etc. It's like they needed to sand them down but didn't. I might try my Dremel on those to see if it smooths them out...........then I'll ask Santa for some KP Options or something

Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I broke down and treated myself to the new Addi interchangeables. I have to say, that even though I've read about some problems that they 'rushed' it out and there are some errors in needle sizes, etc, I LOVE them.

I have the Options, and they are very, very good, but I have had problems with the cord coming out of the connector and with the ends unscrewing if it's not really tightened down. The Addis just kind of push in and stay and so far, so good.

They are a lot more expensive than the Options, though.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote