Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
NovemberGyspy
Casting On

Would you reccomend Vanna's Choice yarn?
Because I don't live near any yarn stores and even Walmart has let me down on this point (they have a very tiny selection at my Walmart) I have to order my yarn online. I was wondering what you thought of Vanna's Choice? I will be using it to make toys. Do you like it? Is it soft and does it stay together well and all that? I reallllyyyy appriecate the help. Or how about Patons yarn, particularly Patons Divine Yarn? Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by NovemberGyspy : 02-18-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
NovemberGyspy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I think it would be fine for toys. Toys are generally knit at a tighter gauge so the stuffing doesn't show so they would stay together fine.

I don't know about the other yarn, but some other not too expensive yarns that are good for toys might be Caron Simply Soft, Bernat Satin, Lion Brand Wool-Ease, or even Red Heart Super Saver. I find the latter hard to knit, but I have sensitive skin.

Really any washable, worsted weight yarn (unless pattern calls for another weight) would be fine for a toy IMO>

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
NovemberGyspy (02-18-2009)
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Marria
Working the Gusset

I don't care for Red Heart super saver because it's just too course for me. I don't like the way it feels when I knit with it. The Red Heart soft is nice, though and similar to Simply Soft. I don't care for Wool-ease because although the colors are nice and it's fairly inexpensive, it doesn't hold up well, at least not in my experience. I made a patchwork blanket out of it, and some of the squares started pilling before I even finished knitting them.

I haven't knit with Vanna's Choice, but I've fondled it in the craft store, and it's pretty soft for acrylic. I just started making a sweater with Bernat Satin, and I like it. It's pretty soft.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
NovemberGyspy (02-19-2009)
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
teachermom
1st Leg of the Journey

I used Vanna's Choice in a scarf and in a hat - It worked up fine. Easy to use and wasn't rough like Red Heart. I've also used Red Heart Soft and enjoyed working with that as well. I would use Vanna's Choice for toys - easy care, inexpensive, knits up fine.

FO's: garterstitch scarf, dropped stitch cable fingerless mittens, socks for Christmas, and 6 baby hats, cabled toddler hat, hat for mom, MIL socks

My blog: http://knitquiltmom.blogspot.com/

I'm knitquiltmom on Ravelry... I'm slowly loading my projects. I also have several patterns that are being offered as free downloads.
teachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teachermom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I've made a few toys with Vanna's Choice and I didn't like the results but they were crocheted, not knitted. Since knitting is tighter, I would think it would be better knitted. Vanna's is a very soft acrylic. I actually do prefer Red Heart Super Saver for toys (crocheted). It's a very stiff yarn but that's generally what I'm looking for.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
kidlets2
Casting On

I really don't care for Red Heart because of the courseness like others have said.

I do like Vanna's Choice...BUT it tends to pill a lot so I'm not sure if that's the best choice of yarn if it's for a baby.

Maybe pill isn't the right word...the rows under my working row gets little puffs of yarn and it happens a lot.
kidlets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kidlets2 For This Useful Post:
NovemberGyspy (02-21-2009)
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Marria
Working the Gusset

Most acrylics pill in my experience. I have a scrap afghan I crocheted out of about four different brands of acrylic, and it's pilled a bit. But a sweater stone will usually get rid of the pills. (I like them much better than shavers.)

Knitting at the tight gauge used for toys might mean less pilling, though.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

I knit a baby sweater of the Vannas Choice (not the baby yarn). Haven't quite finished it yet, but it's soft enough and ok to work with. Have not washed yet of course, so don't know about the pilling.
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cirrus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Marria
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kidlets2 View Post
I really don't care for Red Heart because of the courseness like others have said.

I do like Vanna's Choice...BUT it tends to pill a lot so I'm not sure if that's the best choice of yarn if it's for a baby.

Maybe pill isn't the right word...the rows under my working row gets little puffs of yarn and it happens a lot.
kidlets--Just wondering. Did the puffing happen before or after you washed it.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
NovemberGyspy
Casting On

Thanks to you all! I appriecate the answers and the advice. I decided to go with Bernat's Satin. We will see if I made the right choice. I have very sensetive skin, and can't handle any courseness in yarns at all. It's really annoying, but there it is. I will post what happens!
“All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.”
NovemberGyspy is offline   Reply With Quote