Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
NovemberGyspy
Casting On

Has anyone had any luck converting patterns from dpns to straight or circular?
I am fully aware that it would make more sense to some to just learn how to use dpns. Well, frankly, I am very doubtful that I am that cordinated and secondly, I have no money (and I mean no money) to spend on hobbies, no matter how cheap. So, I need to stick with the yarn and needles I have. Does anyone know how to convert toy patterns that insist on dpns so that I can use my straight/circular needles on them? Thanks a million!
“All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.”
NovemberGyspy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Going from dpns to circular should be no problem, just get the proper size circular and do it........ there should be no conversion involved.

Going to straights would mean deciding where you wanted a seam and adjusting the pattern accordingly so it's really not a question that can be answered globally.

If you are comfortable with circular needles I would just get the appropriate size and go from there.
NovemberGyspy (02-24-2009)
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
thepurplegg
Ribbing the Cuff

I second that translating to circulars is easier. If the pattern calls for specific instructions per DPN you can just use stitch markers to show where the needles should be.

I would personally never translate something from circular knitting to flat. The amazing thing about circular is that there's no seam! It also seems like it'd be harder. You'd have to redo the whole thing instead of just adjusting for where the DPNS should be. =)
thepurplegg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thepurplegg For This Useful Post:
NovemberGyspy (02-24-2009)
Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
NovemberGyspy
Casting On

Wow. I guess I didn't realize what Dpns were for. I thought they did something different then either of the other two. Circular needles do the same thing? Goodness.
“All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.”
NovemberGyspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
DPN's are for knitting small diameter tubes--like socks, for example. You can use longer circular needles in place of dpns by using magic loop or two circs.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Originally Posted by NovemberGyspy View Post
Wow. I guess I didn't realize what Dpns were for. I thought they did something different then either of the other two. Circular needles do the same thing? Goodness.
Yep, they all do the same thing basically. Here's a page that has instructions for all of them.
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes...g_in_the_Round

Knitting Help has videos for all the techniques as well.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Spokaloo
1st Leg of the Journey

There are a lot of things to consider besides seaming if you convert a pattern from dpns to straight needles. When you go from working in the round to working flat, you will need to figure out how to work your WS rows. For example, if the pattern calls for st st, working in the round will require you to knit each row while working flat will mean working a knit row, then a purl row. Also, when working in the round, your pattern will give directions for each row going from right to left. Converting to flat will require you to reverse those directions. For example, if the pattern reads "k2, p3, k4, p5", you will have to reverse that to "k5, p4, k3, p2". And how do you do your WS decreases/increases so they lean in the right direction to fit into the pattern?

People who are comfortable working with graphs might be able to chart a pattern so you can knit flat instead of in the round, but otherwise, I don't think I would attempt it. But then, that's just me!
Spokaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spokaloo For This Useful Post:
fairygoodthings (02-26-2009)
Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
margrue
Ribbing the Cuff

I make a lot of toys and have patterns for both flat and circular knitting. The flat pieces need to have an extra stitch at either end for the seam, and you need to pay attention to where the front and back of the piece are going to be. You don't want to seam up your piece and find out your bear's face is on the side instead of the front! Otherwise you should be able to do it.
You should look at videos about knitting in the round on two circular needles, because that is not hard to figure out, and saves having to seam things up when you're done.
margrue is offline   Reply With Quote