Old 02-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
jenarm
Casting On

Micro spun cotton question
Hello all -

VERY new here. I am a new knitter (as in, only scarves up until now). I bought a slew of Lion Brand micro spun yarn to make a baby blanket, and now I am wondering if it will hold up well enough. I have done a few rows and although it is SOOOO soft, it seems kinda delicate. Should I save this for something else instead?
jenarm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

I just finished a baby sweater in that type of yarn. I understand your reservation. I am not sure it would make a good blanket because it seems so stretchy/not enough body to it for a blanket?
Just my thought-
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Yeah, I don't know either. I made a Baby Surpirse Jacket with it and a couple hats. Not sure I'd like it for a blanket.

Plus it's pretty 'thin' - it'd take near forever and a day to finish a blanket, I'd think.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
It is rather thin, but it's pretty sturdy. I made a few dishcloths with it and they've been fine. It splits when you knit so you have to be careful you don't keep splitting the plies and making your knitting look rough and messy. Personally I think I'd use some other yarn for a baby blanket though.

BTW..I don't like it for dishcloths as it's not that absorbent IMO and I've been meaning to try it for dusting..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

Jan-
I use Wildflowers cotton for my dishclothes. I don't like the heavy cotton because it hurts my hands to wring out when wet and the Wildflowers is very soft and pliable but absorbent also.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Originally Posted by knitfan View Post
Jan-
I use Wildflowers cotton for my dishclothes. I don't like the heavy cotton because it hurts my hands to wring out when wet and the Wildflowers is very soft and pliable but absorbent also.
I like Tahki Cotton Classic. It's lighter and dries quickly, but super absorbant. And the colors.. gorgeous!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
margrue
Ribbing the Cuff

I have been knitting/crocheting with Micro spun for years and have made adult garments as well as baby clothes and dishcloth/blanket type things with it. It washes and wears well and doesn't fade.
It isn't cotton, although it feels like it. It is microfiber acrylic, so it isn't as absorbant as cotton would be. As far as the light weight, if you use appropriate patterns and needles/hooks, the finished articles are lightweight rather than bulky.
margrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
stitchabit
1st Leg of the Journey

Personally, I would use it for something else. I just finished a baby blanket with it. It took me forever....... It is very stretchy and I am not really pleased with it. That's just my opinion.