Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
lindainbathurst
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting 1886 Style
Found something interesting! It's a pdf file of an old book titled, "The Lady's Book of Knitting." Published in 1886. The description of double knitting had me scratching my head. I think in those days, everyone knew how to knit some, and these instructions simply made sense. Similar to old cookbooks that read, "add "some" butter. etc.
You really have to take a look through this book. You can make yourself "Drawers" and "Another Pretty Pattern." It's like a mystery pattern grab-bag.

Cast on any number of stitches.
Knit a plain row.
2nd row. - Slip the first stitch, knit the second in a usual manner, but put the thread twice round the needle. Then bring the thread forward as if you were going to pearl, only do not pearl, but take the stitch off, and put the wool in front of the stitch back to its place. Then begin again and knit a stitch with wool twice round the needle.
3rd row. - Knit the first stitch. Bring the wool forward, and take off the long stitch, putting the thread down in front. Knit the short stitch, putting the thread twice round the needle.

I wonder what this turns out to look like. They talk about using thread and wool?? Any comments? Here is the link
http://www.antiquepatterns.dreamhost...okKnitting.pdf
lindainbathurst is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Thread and wool are just old terms for yarn. Yes, they had a convoluted way of wording things, trying to explain every single movement. I have Victorian Lace Today and she includes bits of old patterns, in the original and excerpts, some from this book you mention, I think. They're interesting to try and figure out, and makes you appreciate the way patterns are written today - even the poorly worded ones....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Those old books either give you too many directions-- or not enough! I hadn't seen that particular one, yet; thanks for the link! For anyone interested in old patterns and books, there is a tremendous site, www.ivarose.com. She finds old patterns and tidies up the torn bits and frayed edges and then reproduces them for sale. My understanding is that she prints them up as orders come in so that there's virtually never a chance of running out. I ordered a couple of books and she ships quickly, the prices were excellent and the patterns are a lot of fun. You can find them by company (e.g. Minerva Yarn Co.) or chronological listing (e.g. the 1890s).
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote