Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Thinking of making Jacques Cousteau hat...
I am thinking of making this hat for my dad, but have some questions.
Here is the pattern:

http://typyp.ajatukseni.net/2008/11/...-cousteau-hat/

I am not sure what type of yarn to use, as the yarn given is some Finnish yarn. How would that translate to American yarn? Lol!

Also, I have no idea about the sizing. My Dad's head is about 24-25" wide.

Also, how does one do the knit rib stitch on circular needles? I made the mistake last time of knitting/purling, and getting a mess, because I didn't realize on circular needles, you knit every stitch to get the stockinette stitch. Does this apply as well to rib knit?
Nenwing is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Usually, you make a hat an inch or two smaller than the head, depending on how tight you want it to be. Ribbing is pretty stretchy, so 2 inches smaller would probably work well.

The yarn in the pattern has a gauge of 22 stitches per 4 inches on size 4 needles, so it's probably a dk or sport weight.

When you work the ribbing in the round, you always will work the stitches the same way--knit the knits as they face you and purl the purls. You're always working on the right side when working in the round, which is why you get stockinette when you only knit. Just work the knit/purl stitches the same on every round and you'll be fine.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you for the help!

So, K2 P2 will work out to be a rib knit, even on circular needles? Does the right side face you, or does it face the "inside" of the tube?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
The right side faces you on the outside of the tube. The k3p2 pattern will make the ribbing for this particular hat. Any multiple of 5 will give you an even ribbing all the way around.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Hi! The Novita Tennessee called for in the pattern is a dk weight 100% mercerized cotton yarn.

Hope that helps,
Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Woodi
Turning the Heel

This is such a cute hat!

Somehow, just looking at it, I think it could be easy to lose where you are in the decreases. If I make this, I will write down each row as I go along. Good luck to you, and please post your progress?
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I've made this hat a couple of times, once out of DK and once in worsted. Here's the sizing thing: She used a yarn that had 5.5 sts per inch. For the women's size, she uses 120 sts, which comes to about 22 inches, and for the men's, 140 sts, which comes to about 25 inches. As long as you use a multiple of 20 sts, the decreases will come out all right. So whatever your gauge is with your specific yarn and needles, just multiply it by 22 or 25 (inches) and round it to the nearest 20 and you'll be okay. So if you used a worsted with 4 sts per inch and wanted a smaller size, multiply it by 22, which would be 88; if you want it slightly tight, go down to 80, or if you want it loose, go up to 100. Just make sure when you do the decreases that you add or subtract 5 sts to the amount of sts in each quarter section. She gives 26/31, 28/33, 28/33 and 28/33. So if you only cast on 100, you would have 21, 23, 23 and 23, or if you used a very thin yarn and cast on 160, you would have 36, 38, 38 and 38.
3 things to keep in mind with this pattern--
1. It's all ribbed and very stretchy.
2. When it's off the head, it does look very pointy at the top, but when worn, it smooths out to the spiral shown in her photo.
3. Yes, you DO decrease every round. Don't skip every other round, as you do in most hat patterns.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
Nenwing
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you Imrachel for explaining that better! It gets rather confusing!

A couple things I still don't get though, say you want to use a worsted weight typical yarn (like Patons), would you still only use 3.5mm needles? That is size 4 in US. It seems like one would need a bigger needle? I am not sure how to figure what size I would need, or what the gage is.

Also, in the pattern when it says toward the bottom:
"The following decrease rows: *Work to two stitches of marker, KKS, repeat from *."

Work what? Do I do the knit stitch (K3, P2) until I have 2 stitches between me and the marker?

Thank you again for helping me figure this out! Sometimes these patterns take some figuring out to get what to do.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

First, the gauge/needle size thing. When any pattern says to use needle size X, that's just what the designer and/or test knitters used to get the specific gauge required for that pattern. The important thing is the gauge, not the needle size. So you should use whatever needles to get the right gauge. The pattern was written for a yarn that is 5.5 sts per inch. But that would be a very tight fabric in a worsted. If you're using worsted yarn for this hat and you are comfortable using let's say size 5mm needles, then do that. Knit up a swatch in stocking stitch (Vs on the right side, purl bumps on the other) of about 5 inches by 5 inches and measure and see how many stitches you're getting per inch. Let's say it's 4 sts per inch. Then cast on either 80 for a tight hat or 100 for a looser hat (remember, in this pattern, it has to be a multiple of 20 sts). Because this hat has such a high number (20) in the required multiple of sts, and therefore a pretty big difference in the size you'll end up with,you might want to play with going up or down in needle size in order to get a gauge that works with the size you want. But if you can get 4.5 sts per inch with a worsted, that comes to 99 sts for the smaller size hat, which would be easily rounded up to 100, and the fit would be good.

As for your second question, "work what?"-- yes, you keep to the pattern until you're 2 sts before the marker, and then do the KKS thingy. As you decrease, the K3/P2 pattern will get a bit off, because you won't have enough sts to keep it going. But just keep in the 5 st pattern, taking 1 away from the end of it as you go. In other words, in the row after the first decrease, you'll have K3/P1. The next will be K3. The next row will be K2, the next wil be K1. Then in the next, you'll have the next K3/P2 come up. Do the same thing.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote