Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I finally got the earflaps done for my hat. I had a lot of trouble with the tension, and frogged them many times! I'm finally happy with them. They're far from perfect, but I hope they will improve after blocking.

I have the first chart done also and am moving on to the big chart. I'm a little worried because in some space there is a 7 stitch space between colors and I'm worried about the floats. Hopefully it will all go well.

Dustinac, thanks for the help with the earflaps. You were exactly right about what I needed to do.

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #22
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
That's awesome, I knew you could to it!!

The best way to do floats is to weave them in (catch the yarn), I like to do every 3rd st but I know some will go to the 4th st. Check out Amy's Stranded video

Also the link I posted in the first post about knitting with both hands she also shows you how to weave in the st

If you leave long floats I find it can throw your tension off and show puckering...but also things can get caught in the floats for like gloves or mittens...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

So I finally got a knitting thimble, 2 actually to try them both and see what I liked the best. The Norwegian knitting thimble is working out well now. It took some getting used to, but now it's going well. I have to move it on my finger a little bit going from knit side to purl side, but it's working. Purling with one in each hand just wasn't working, at all.

So I now have 4 rows of the section of color work done. Over 200 stitches makes it kinda slow going, but it's going. And I do love doing it.

I'm also finishing My little Munchkin's mittens. I'm using a basic mitten pattern and doing color work as I go. She likes mix matched stuff so having the patterns different is ok and that makes it easier for me.

I'll post when I get the mitten done, I think it will be this week. (I've had the other one done for a while now).

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #24
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Lieuvena View Post
I finally got the earflaps done for my hat. I had a lot of trouble with the tension, and frogged them many times! I'm finally happy with them. They're far from perfect, but I hope they will improve after blocking.

I have the first chart done also and am moving on to the big chart. I'm a little worried because in some space there is a 7 stitch space between colors and I'm worried about the floats. Hopefully it will all go well.

Dustinac, thanks for the help with the earflaps. You were exactly right about what I needed to do.
Good Job! How do you like it? And color work does usually improve a LOT with blocking.

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #25
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I finished the hat tonight. It is blocking now and I will post a pic when it is done.

It is sooo small though! It was supposed to be for an adult and it fits my 3 yo! I did a gauge swatch and got gauge, but once knitted, not so much. Oh well.

I really enjoyed doing the color work, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot from it. There are some definate mistakes, but I don't think most of them will be obvious.

I will post more about it along with the picture.

Lieuvena
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #26
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

I can't wait to see the pictures! I know my first sock that I made it wouldn't fit me at all. Once you get the tension of working with other yarns it will be easier to get a good fit.

It has been so crazy here lately that I haven't had time to even cast on to the mittens

MamaDawn~I can't wait to see them! I'm glad the thimble is working out well for you

Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Here it is!
So here is my hat:
Click image for larger version

Name:	scarf and hat 001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	52108 Click image for larger version

Name:	scarf and hat 002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	52109

What I liked about it:
1. It was fun to do.
2. The color work kept things interesting, so it seemed to knit up very quick.

The pattern was pretty clear and easy to follow (except one thing which I'll explain next). I liked the over all process of learning something new.

Things I don't like about it:
1. The first chart wasn't correct. There was an extra stitch unaccounted for that I ended up just knitting in the MC.
2. The bottom edge! Uugh. I wondered if it would have been nicer with some sort of ribbing. The pattern calls for a crochet edge, but that looked awful. I also tried picking up stitches and knitting a garter edge. Still looked horrible. It just seems to long or something.
3. The earflaps are ridiculously placed! They are too far back. Out of all the notes I read on Ravelry, only one person mentioned wanting to move them up, so I figured they'd be better as per the pattern. Wrong! I should have moved them up, as I don't know who's ears these are going to cover!

All in all it was a fun project and helped me conquer my fear of stranded knitting/ fair aisle. I'm going to look for another project to try soon.

It feels great to be able to say I learned something new! Thanks for having this KAL . I probably wouldn't have tried it yet otherwise.

Lieuvena
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #28
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

It looks great, you did a wonderful job and I'm so glad you gave it a try!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #29
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I opened this thread this morning and then forgot to post in it... boy it's been one of those days.

I finished dd's mittens...

The hat looks great! I might make it and I'll remember the part about the ribbing and ear flaps thanks for letting us know about that. I'm glad you liked it. It's fun seeing the pattern come out as you knit isn't it?

I'll take and post pics of the side of the bag when I finish it. I think it will be this weekend or early next week.

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
The Following User Says Thank You to MAmaDawn For This Useful Post:
Lieuvena (03-11-2009)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #30
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

The mittens are very cute! I can't wait to see the bag.

Lieuvena
The Following User Says Thank You to Lieuvena For This Useful Post:
MAmaDawn (03-11-2009)