Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

My cat is finally starting to get sick. (kidneys?) Best cat food?
Hi. Well I knew it would come someday. Hopefully it's not too soon. My sweet baby Toisie who will turn 15 in July seems to be sick. Is sick. It's hard to say it. I feel like such a fool because she's had an increase in water drinking for a long time, a year? maybe 6 months, I can't even remember. I just didn't think it was a big deal. It can mean she's losing kidney functioning.

Anyhow, she started urinating on our comforter and bathroom rugs so we took her to the vet. She has an infection and is on antibiotics, then they will do another blood test. did you know that an older cat should have blood work done once a year? I didn't!

And the dry food is just a real villain. So I'm reading all this stuff on kidneys, and maybe I should give her B vitamins... it's a lot of stuff to learn, I suppose I should've known more of this before. I'm so suspicious of cat food now, she eats Fancy Feast but with fresh chicken livers and raw shrimp. I wish I could just feed her food I make but that is sooo time consuming. But maybe I'll try.

whew. damn. I have this mantra I keep saying, we all can't live forever..... we just can't live forever.... ha

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I'm sorry your kitty is sick. Hopefully the antibiotics will help. It's great that you caught it so soon.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
VictoiseC (03-06-2009)
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

P.S. I forgot to mention, my vet asked a few times 'Did you feed her Wellness?' I thought Wellness was one of the better catfoods. I did use it but just a few times, maybe a dozen cans over a year.
Wonder if it was one of the Chinese poisoned brands.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

One of our cats (he's 3) has had several UTIs the last year and a half. The vet said it was probably caused by the food he was eating, so they switched him over to another food. He seems to be doing great now. Hopefully it's just something as simple as a bladder infection. I've had those before... not fun! I hope your kitty feels better!
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyFirelyght For This Useful Post:
VictoiseC (03-06-2009)
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
cftwo
Working the Gusset

My cats are 9 and 11 and I just moved to a new town. This new vet was the first time I heard that you should have bloodwork done on older animals (over 7) annually. I'm taking the younger one in tomorrow - he'll need bloodwork drawn and it will probably freak him out, poor thing.

Lots of love to Toisie for a speedy recovery.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
VictoiseC (03-06-2009)
Old 03-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Our cat Butter is younger than her. He's only 8, but he has had kidney problems in the past. Which include UTI's and crystals in the urine. Our vet recommended a brand of dry cat food that I have only seen available in veterinary offices. It was 11 bucks per pound though.

I would check with the vet to see which foods are suitable for cats with kidney problems.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
melmac51
Turning the Heel

I use Purina Urinary Tract Health cat food. My cat used to get kidney infections, but no more since I started using that. And, you won't have to get a second mortgage on your car to pay for it. Hope she gets better soon.
VictoiseC (03-06-2009)
Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I wanted to make my cats food when we still had them (they all died, well into their twenties),but my friend who is a vet said that making it at home is not possible. Dog food, yes, we used to have 'parties' to make enough for her two and my two pups for a month, but not cat because they need all kinds of special nutrients. You'll notice that there aren't any books out there on how to do it, like there are for dogs.

She does make kind of gravy for her cats (she has over fifteen in a 'cattery' she made out of a barn on her property) that contains a lot of chicken and fish parts that she saves up, and serves over a quality kibble.

At one time she worked for Iams, and won't give their food to her beasties.

Hope your little one gets better soon, with the right vet she could have quite a few good years left.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hi all and thanks much for you kind words. I so hope it is just a bladder infection and not a kidney starting to go. I never had a cat make it past 12 years old .. I can't believe a cat can make it into their 20s! Wow.

I got some quality $$$ cat food yestrday, Merrick, Natural Balance, Halo Spots Stew but man it's expensive. $1.49 per can. or so. I actually do have a book about making cat food, it's basically mixing chicken or fish with rice, veggies, etc. It's time consuming but I'm going to try it. I've been reading all those horror stories (yes I can't believe Iams is included in these, it sounds like such a trustworthy name)
but it's actually true they grind up our dead pets and make cat foodout of them so, unless you don't mind that, it's worth it to buy some of the better stuff or make your own. ah well

Thanks again! meow

Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Jenelle, you might want to not give him much dry food at all if you can. If he's already had them he'll just keep getting them. I'd say the price is worth it but if you can get away from dry it's just as well.