Old 02-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
JuliannaHeiby
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to JuliannaHeiby
My mind has been blown...
I've been browsing patterns today and I chanced upon a pattern that refers to "knitting into the back of the stitch".

As a self-taught knitter, there has been no one to correct me because

That's what I've been doing all this time!!!

Whaaaaat?!?! So, non-stop knitting since October, and every project has been kind-of wrong...

Since I'm in the middle of quite a few significant things, I'll carry on so the patterns aren't half and half. But! Once they wrap up, I'll be making the switch to knitting the way (apparently) the rest of the world has been doing for ages. It feels like the switch to digital.

I'm so ashamed...

My daughter is my knitting muse!
2009 De-Stashing/ project finishing goals:
1. Blu Jeans DONE
2. Teddy-Bear Cable Jacket WIP
3. Tote/ Diaper bag Being finished by expert-seamstress Mom
4. Cabled, hooded jacketWIP
6. Odd-ball pipe-dreamy cardiganish thing. Stay tuned.
7. Juliette's Robin Hood Sweater
8. Blanket for Juliette's Big Girl Bed (inherited acrylic stash from the age of stirrup pants with magic mohair accents).
JuliannaHeiby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JuliannaHeiby For This Useful Post:
OxxxAmandaxxxO (03-01-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
thepurplegg
Ribbing the Cuff

Don't feel that way!! I knitted into the back of the stitches for a little bit too at first. I also wrapped my yarn the wrong way to purl. It's not about perfection. :D
thepurplegg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thepurplegg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
It's not uncommon among new knitters. ktbl is a legitimate stitch...it's a twisted stitch that is sometimes used for various patterns. Now you know how to do it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
OxxxAmandaxxxO
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by JuliannaHeiby View Post
I've been browsing patterns today and I chanced upon a pattern that refers to "knitting into the back of the stitch".

As a self-taught knitter, there has been no one to correct me because

That's what I've been doing all this time!!!

Whaaaaat?!?! So, non-stop knitting since October, and every project has been kind-of wrong...

Since I'm in the middle of quite a few significant things, I'll carry on so the patterns aren't half and half. But! Once they wrap up, I'll be making the switch to knitting the way (apparently) the rest of the world has been doing for ages. It feels like the switch to digital.

I'm so ashamed...

Please don't be ashamed! I have been knitting on and off for years (Just basic knit and pearl stitches.) and I found out through this site that I had been doing it wrong too! I was wrapping my yarn round the wrong way on both knit and purl.
I've just started a new project (A mantinee set for my soon to be new niece/nephew. :D ) and have to learn to kint the 'right' way as there are other sticthes in the pattern that require it to work that way. After all this time I now have to start knitting in a completely alien way! (Sorry, I love smilies! :D )
At one point I have to knit into the back of stitches and after reading the instructions on this site I still have no clue as how to do it. Maybe your experience wasn't wasted after all as you could teach me (and others) how to do it. In return, if you ever need to be taught how to wrap your yarn round the wrong way whilst knitting, I'm your woman!

Last edited by OxxxAmandaxxxO : 02-28-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Spelling. :p
OxxxAmandaxxxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Okay, each stitch has a leg over the front of the needle, and one over the back. Generally, the front leg is closest to the tip and that's where most people insert the needle for a knit stitch. To knit through the back leg (loop) you knit into the leg behind the needle. This makes the st twist. If you wrap the purl sitch the other way, the back leg is closest to the tip. So you would knit into the back leg and that untwists it.

Hope that wasn't too much information to confuse you further...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts

I was doing that too, until I took a sock class. The instructor, looking over my shoulder looked mystified, "Why are you using twisted stitches?"

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
OxxxAmandaxxxO
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Okay, each stitch has a leg over the front of the needle, and one over the back. Generally, the front leg is closest to the tip and that's where most people insert the needle for a knit stitch. To knit through the back leg (loop) you knit into the leg behind the needle. This makes the st twist. If you wrap the purl sitch the other way, the back leg is closest to the tip. So you would knit into the back leg and that untwists it.

Hope that wasn't too much information to confuse you further...
Err, yes, but I'm easily confused! I think maybe I have been knitting into the back of the stitch too all this time.
When I do a knit stitch I insert the right hand needle behind the stitch then angle it and point it through so the right hand needle is below the left and looks like a cross.
I don't get the bit with the front leg being closest to the tip? I presume the 'legs' are just the front and back of the stitch, or left and right side? In my stitching, the loop is straight across the needle so they are an even length to the tip.
Maybe once I start knitting the right way I'll be able to work it out and see it more easily.
Thanks for trying anyway!

EDIT: Aha, I think I get it! It was maybe a translation thing. In my pattern it says 'tbs-through back of stitches,' but I just re-checked the Glossary and there it is termed 'through the back loop.' I presume this is one and the same thing?
OxxxAmandaxxxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, through back of stitches and through the back loop would be the same.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Here's a sample I did recently to show twisted stitches and how to correct them by knitting into the back loop.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_twisted_stitches.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	51983  Click image for larger version

Name:	correcting_twisted_stitch.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	51984  

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
OxxxAmandaxxxO (03-01-2009), tokmom (03-01-2009)
Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #10
johnjohn
Casting On

I am not the only one!!
I too had been knitting "differently" than what is the norm. I found this site a while back and realized from the videos that I was knitting the wrong way. I had been knitting into the back of all of the stitches and purling my own way as well. All of the work I produced turned out fine.

I taught myself to knit when I was a kid. For the first while I did not even realize I was supposed to turn the work. I just knit back and forth from right to left and then from left to right! I found out about turning after a year or two. But without guidance, all the projects I took on for almost 20 years had twisted stitches when done in knit stitch!!!! In stockinette everything worked out fine, and I could tell no difference when doing other stitches.

The good news is that I have now improved my speed and learned to knit with the continental method. I also know now that what I produce will be up to snuff for the knitting aficionados out there!!!

johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote