Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Sensational Knitted Socks
I'm doing my first pattern from this book. I've completed my cuff, my leg, and my heel turn. Now I'm ready to pick up stitches for my gusset. I'm using 2 circs. I have 16 stitches on one needle, which are my heel stitches. The 2nd needle has the instep stitches.

I PU 14 stitches from the side of my heel flap and 2 at the top of the gusset. Place a marker. Then it says, "NEEDLE 2: Work ***half*** of instep stitches in pattern, PM, PU 2 sts at top of gusset, PU 14 sts from side of heel flap, knit half of heel flap stitches from needle 1 to needle 2."

The part I'm having trouble with there is the "half." There are 28 stitches on needle 2. If I only work half of them, I'm still 14 stitches away from my heel flap and gusset. That makes no sense to me. I would think I would work all the way across needle #2.

The second question I have is after I have done the above, I move on to the gusset. Right before it gets to the gusset instructions, it says, "Work rnd 1 once to combine sts picked up and to eliminate gap at the top of the gusset." Then it goes on to give me instructions for Rnd 1, Rnd 2, etc.

Are those 2 steps there? I would think, esp since Rnd 1 includes directions to work in pattern, that I would immediately go from picking up my stitches to Rnd 1 instructions, but that little sentence before has me confused.

This is all on page 35 of the book if anyone has it and wants to look.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
thepurplegg
Ribbing the Cuff

I have that book!!! It's great ^.^

Look above needle 2's instructions that you are having trouble with. You placed a marker after your PU stitches then is says work half of instep stitches in pattern.

Then there's needle 2 saying work half (what you posted). In other words, at this point you shouldn't have all the instep stitches on needle 2.

What you're doing is transfering some of the stitches to the other needle so that at the end each needle holds half the foot and half the instep stitches. With needle 1, PU first side of stitches and knit half the instep stitches in pattern. With needle 2 work the other half of the instep stitches in pattern, then you do the PU. Then it says to knit half the heel-flap stitches from needle 1 to needle 2. Now you should have half and half on the 2 needles.

As for the gusset decrease, do round 1 once after you've finished the PU stitches round. That's the only time you do it. Now go to rounds 2 and 3 and you'll notice you only repeat them from then on. It says repeat rows 2 and 3 until (#) remains.

Hope this helps
thepurplegg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thepurplegg For This Useful Post:
Ronda (03-07-2009)
Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Ronda
Instepping Out

Yes, that helps. I was completely overlooking that first line in the green box! Thank you so much!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Ronda
Instepping Out

Oh, if you like this book - I just got Socks a la Carte. Oh my! I'm in sock book heaven! ;-)
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
thepurplegg
Ribbing the Cuff

You're welcome :D I'll keep that book in mind next time I'm hunting a good sock book.
thepurplegg is offline   Reply With Quote