Old 03-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Need quick help
I don't know if this qualifies as a "pattern" question, but I need to know what length & width to make a burp cloth. As a new knitter, I'm trying to learn to use circular needles and a "bumpy" yarn before starting on a baby blanket. My LYS suggested just using a regular garter stitch and making a burp cloth just to get the feel of everything; however, I know nothing about babies and have no clue what size to make it. Can someone help?
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Can you google "burp cloth" and see what comes up; ready made ones are probably sold online and would give sizes. However, most moms use a thin blanket or an extra diaper for one. So one could be fairly large, at least 12x12. Maybe a washcloth would actually be better, those are around 6-8" square.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
MrsP
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi PBS!

When I used burp cloths - I usually used cloth diapers - anything will work really, but a rectanglular shape works really long - can go over your shoulder and hang down so, if I had to guess at a good size, I would say 8-12 inches by like 18 inches. It isn't an exact science though! Just go with the flow and have fun! :-)

OTN: fingerless gloves

I am MandaPen on Ravelry!!
MrsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Think about the size of a hand towel. Have fun!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

I agree with the hand towel and rectangle sizes. I don't like them too small and I like those beter than square. I want to throw it over my shoulder quick and not have to worry if it's under baby's burp or not and that it'll stay without thinking about it. I've got more important (and fun) things to think about...get that babe burped and on with playtime!

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the input everybody. Can you tell I'm going to be a totally inept grandmother (my sweet stepdaughter is having the baby, s o I have no baby experience)!! Maybe a simple bib would be better since most of you use a diaper or something for burping. Anyone know where I can find a pattern for one of those? I'm not too good at just practicing, so I have to be "making" something and I really need the practice on this yarn before starting the blanket. Thanks again for all your help.

BTW, how do I get one of these cute icons to post on my replies. I want to send you all the smilie blowing kisses, but haven't figured out how to do it. Okay, so I'm inept at that too ))
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote