Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
sandillajoan
Casting On

Attached I-Cord
Hi,
I'm knitting a vest. When it's done, I'm supposed to knit an attached I-Cord around it so that it's finished off nicely.

I know how to knit an I-Cord, without any problem. I'm very confused as to how to attach it and knit it at the same time.

I was wondering: Does anybody know where I may possibly find a video demonstrating this? I'm not good at understanding written instructions, but I am good at doing something after I've actually seen it being done.

Thanks!
Sandilla
sandillajoan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Are you going to be doing it as part of the bind off? Here's some help with good photos.
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes...-Cord_Bind_Off

Here's a video, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJAzaa5bqZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMwolIZsAM

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
sandillajoan
Casting On

hi again, i guess i didn't give enuff info. i'm new. well, the vest is knit first. actually, it's quite nice. it's mitered squares, and it's done in 2 colors, and i pickup/knit to add the squares and "build" the vest. the back is one piece. the front is two pieces. then it's attached at the sides by more mitered squares. after the whole vest is completely done, an attached I-cord is knit on to finish it off along the v-neckline, and each side. you start at a bottom front and work your way around to the other bottom front. i hope that's enuff info!! thanks guys!!
sandillajoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
MGM
Turning the Heel

You could use the knitpicks method mentioned by Jan. Pick up stitches along one side, around the neckline and down the other side and knit a row or two, then work the i-cord bindoff. I think that would look nice.

Does the instruction tell you to knit the i-cord first, then attach it? Or does it just say to knit an attached i-cord with no instructions on how?

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

I recently finished the neckline of a sweater using attached I-cord, and ended up doing it twice. The first time I picked up the stitches around first, then cast on three stitches to use for the i-cord. I didn't like the way it turned out, plus I had picked up too many stitches in the V-neck portion, so I ripped that back and attached the I-cord to the V-neck as I went on every other row.

It takes longer, I think, to do it the latter way, but it looks neater in the end (imo).

Knitting Escapade
outdoordrea is offline   Reply With Quote