Old 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

should I give this pattern a try?
I have been knitting about three weeks alot and have gotten pretty decent at knit and purl stitches. I am wanting to try something with increases and decreases. I just can't seem to get motivated over a scarf because I don't wear them. I had thought of trying a baby item, but what has really caught my attention is this sweater.
http://www.metapostmodernknitting.co...6/Default.aspx
Do you think this would be too difficult for me to try or should I wait a little while? I just love it. However, I haven't worked with circular needles, only straight ones. If you think I should wait, can someone suggest a pattern? I really want to make something instead of just a sampler. I know of someone about to have a little girl and I thought if there was something I could do, I could give it as a gift if it turned out good.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
This is an adult pattern, you're thinking of giving it to a baby?

But it seems pretty well written out. If it's for yourself give it a try and we can help you through parts you don't understand.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
This is an adult pattern, you're thinking of giving it to a baby?

But it seems pretty well written out. If it's for yourself give it a try and we can help you through parts you don't understand.
No...I didn't make myself too clear. I am sorry. I was thinking of either doing this pattern for myself OR doing a baby pattern to give as a gift. Can you just imagine a baby in that? You must have thought I was crazy. If that sweater pattern is too hard for me to knit as a true beginner, I was just wondering if someone could suggest a baby pattern.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I think if you feel comfortable trying, go for it. I have heard of and actually know people who jump right into the "scary stuff"(basically anything that is not a dishcloth or scarf) as a second project. You might as well make something you really love than make a scarf you won't ever wear. If you get stuck I am sure someone here could help you!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
knitkid11
Ribbing the Cuff

If you like it try it! I thought the same thing when I wantd to do this fish hat.
Look I made it! Some good advice I was told was:

"Never look a head in a pattern. Just look at the beginning or you will think its to hard. "
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish Hat (5).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	52066  
Sarahc409 (03-09-2009)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
tourmaline
Ribbing the Cuff

I say go for it! I'm a beginner as well and have gone from a baby blanket on size 10 needles to socks on size 1 double pointed needles! This is for fun and giving yourself a challenge is part of it I think. What's the worst that will happen? You have to redo some parts or ask some questions? Part of the fun I say!
tourmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

If you love it, go for it!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

Go for it!! I learned to knit last summer, did an easy hat using Noro yarn, and then went immediately into an easy sweater. I learned a lot through trial and error. So long as you don't mind ripping and redoing, you'll do fine. I will say having a book on fixing errors was helpful during the process, though. The one I like is "Knit Fix" by Lisa Kartus.
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
cftwo
Working the Gusset

It's mostly stockinette stitch, so it shouldn't be too hard. It looks like you'll learn about increasing and decreasing, and you'll probably also learn a bit about keeping your tension even (because stockinette can show variations in tension easier than some other stitches). I'd go for it!
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

I agree with everyone else. I say go for it. Just take it one step at a time and if you get stuck, there's plenty of talented people here that can certainly help you. My next door neighbor taught me to knit 30 years ago and my very first project was a sweater. I must have knit 5-6 sweaters before I ever knit anything else. They're not hard to do if you just follow the pattern. Good Luck!
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote