Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #21
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

My goodness, yarnpiggy...I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your sister and your family...you must miss her so much. Hugs to you all...and especially to your nephew.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
yarnpiggy (03-14-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

Yarnpiggy, your post has me in tears. I'm so sorry for your loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyFirelyght For This Useful Post:
yarnpiggy (03-14-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #23
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

What an amazing exercise! Here we are, practically strangers, sharing intimate details of our lives: hurts, pains, joys, trials, etc. I feel part of a huge family, and that is a wonderful feeling. I do needlework for all the many reasons everyone has mentioned. I think the calming effect is almost primal. I feel so blessed to be able to use my hands.
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #24
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I just knit because I like it

A little over a year ago (Feb 1, 2008) my 4th child was born and a friend of ours gave her a baby blanket. I loved it. Then she told me she knit it herself and I was floored! I decided right then that I wanted to learn. She showed me the basics. Cast on, knit, cast off. We don't get to see each other often so when I wanted to learn more I found this site and have been slowly teaching myself as I go since.

I love the feeling of finishing a project and knowing that I made it and that there's not another one exactly like it anywhere. I also find it relaxing...most of the time! I don't get to knit as often as I like though because I usually have to wait for the kids to go to bed.

So I guess the short answer would be...fun and relaxation.

Lieuvena

Last edited by Lieuvena : 03-13-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: can't spell
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

yarnpiggy

I knit for the creativity and mental stimulation. I knit to produce things of beauty for those I love. I knit to pass time, soothe and comfort myself. I knit for all the reasons, spoken and unspoken, listed here.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knittingincarolina View Post
It's also a good diet aide, you can't knit and snack at the same time.
So very true...

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #27
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Yarnpiggy, you have my deepest sympathy. I will say a prayer for you.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmykid28 For This Useful Post:
yarnpiggy (03-14-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I like a challenge. No matter how advanced you get, there's always a pattern or technique to challenge your skills.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #29
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,955 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
What a good question and what moving answers! WOW!

I knit because I enjoy it and get bored without it! I love to create beautiful things (and hear people say, "WOW! You made that!?") Knitting has helped me through the empty nest I'm going through with both my kids in college and my DH traveling a lot. It has also helped me make friends here on KH!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
starfaerie26
Casting On

why i knit
i originally started to knit to spend time with my mother--who can touch anything and figure out how it works.
when i was small, 7 or 8, she taught me how to cross-stitch. i went through a phase where i thought needle work was lame... but as i saw all of the interesting and beautiful things my mother made, i just wanted to know how to do it. when the hackey-sack craze went through my school, she taught me how to crochet my own. from crocheting, i made many snowflakes at christmas time and lots of washcloths too.
i wanted to learn how to make the pretty things that my mom made with the two needles. and i wanted to spend quality time with her.
i've been knitting for over three years now, and i still call mom and ask "if i'm looking at purl, i need to purl, right?" she laughs and says, "yes."
my father passed away recently, and as i was staying with her while we grieved she was trying to think of gifts for everyone that helped so much during the final preparations. i suggested knitting items, as they aren't too expensive and they mean a lot because they are handmade. so we went to the craft store and picked out yarns and knitted together. quietly... and sometimes with tears streaming down our faces, we made heartfelt gifts for our family.
my mom has never told me that i can't do anything.... she has always been the one to show me how to do it right. and now that i'm home, i'm making something for her.... to show her that what she taught me is something that i will always cherish.
biztec (03-14-2009), melmac51 (03-18-2009), yarnpiggy (03-14-2009)