Old 03-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #31
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I knit because I can.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #32
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

I checked out your websites; you are one cool guy!!
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #33
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

I knit because I love making something for others and keeping my hands busy. Lately I have been making odd-ball baby blankets and hats for the Ships project. I love that I can send hugs to people I don't know, just letting them know that someone cares.

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #34
wezyus
Turning the Heel

i knit bcoz i loved n liked it ...it keep me busy n as i like to create and amend any design to my like , that's make more n more happy esp. when its were favoured n appraised by others

Besides that i didnt feel bored when having free time n it's keeps my mind active, so just stop having or imaging nonsense n bad thoughts.

In short i am very fond of knitting, crocheting n sewing, but knitting i like it more
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #35
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

I've always wanted to learn but never had the right time. Then I had a freak accident that leaves me in pain. I spent my days laying in bed watching tv and it drove me nuts. I HAD to have something to do,while laying there, so I got a kniting DVD a yr ago and just started knitting...(I learned to crochet a month ago.) Plus, i've always loved making things and this works out great.

Crochet Patterns and Videos
http://crochetpatterns09.blogspot.com/
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #36
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

I have Motor Coordination problems and one of the things the Psycologist suggested was Knitting. I had been facinated by my nan's knitting, so Mom agreed to have me taught. (I don't know if it worked, but if it didn't I'd hate to see what I'd be like without it)
about 5 yrs later I'm Knitting in my Psycitrist's office. He was surprised that I knitted but we spent the entire session talking about what I was making and how knitting was good for helping me process my emotions and relax. He then told my mom she should encourage me knitting.
But my mom regrets it now that there's Knitting Yarn and Neddles EVERYWHERE. I guess she'll calm down once she starts getting some jumpers (pullovers).
FV
Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #37
truelykaden
Casting On

Stress reliever!
I have a very challenging 2.5 yr old son. I wasn't feeling good about myself as a mother. We moved to a tiny town and as I cruised through the local "paper", I saw an article about free knitting classes. As I said, I have a son, so I am broke! I never spend money on myself. I thought that if I took some me time and got away for a while, I could be a better mother. And it has worked well! I go to knit a few nights a week for a few hours. I found myself feeling better about myself and less stressed, so I can deal with my son more patiently.
truelykaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #38
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
yarnpiggy my heart goes out to you and your family. What a tragic story. I'm glad you had your knitting to bring you back to living when it was time.

I knit for all the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. I love the creativity of choosing my colors and fibers, knowing my project can be as unique as I want it. It's a portable craft! (Before knitting my main hobby was scrapbooking - love it, but it's not so portable.) It's therapy! Love sharing with my S&B (stitch and bitch) group - we have gotten to be really close friends. It gives me something to do while watching TV - I can't sit and do nothing - never have been able to do that. And I love being able to wear my projects!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #39
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Counter Point
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I started crochet because of panic disorder/agorophobia.
I started knitting to make stuff other than blankets, crochet doesn't make good guy cloths.

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack
Mike,

Here is a crocheted, men's, sweater vest with (mock) cables.
http://crochetme.com/patterns/advent...age-cable-vest

But otherwise I'd agree, and crocheted hats and scarves don't count.
I learned crochet because it looked interesting to me as a child. I recently returned to it for a hobby. I picked up knitting because I wanted to gain a working knowledge of it should my children ask to learn.

What I get out of it depends on the project. I've made dish clothes, hats, scarves, potholders, and a hot pad. I'm planning a top-down raglan sweater for myself. There is also the sense of accomplishment that comes with a FO. For me it is the joy of creating something with my own hands.

The tools and materials are cheaper than those for wood working and we can only use so many bookcases, shelves, and chest of drawers.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #40
Norman
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Norman Send a message via AIM to Norman Send a message via MSN to Norman Send a message via Yahoo to Norman
I started to knit a few years ago because I remember growing up with my dad knitting all the time.. I LOVE watching him make something..

Growing up, I learned all sorts of crafting.. but never took to much more than Counted Cross Stitch, Sewing and Knitting.. everything else didn't click in my brain.

Knitting Blog
Webdesigner, Developer and all around nice guy
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote