Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
katiegrace
Casting On

I am intimidated!
I am learning how to knit. I know how to do a long tail cast-on, knit and purl and am making my first scarf doing just that...knitting and purling. Anyways, I want to make a hat next on circular needles, but i'm intimidated! I mean, I can't even fix my mistakes on my scarf....it all looks like a jumbled mess to me, and I had to take it into a local yarn shop to get them to help me. I've been looking at videos of here of all the increases, decreases, knitting in the round, double points...I'm very overwhelmed to say the least after watching those videos! I have only had like a 1 hour lesson so far,so I know I have a long way to go but I'm kinda wondering if I'll be able to "get knitting"...It seems kinda hard. Do you have any tips that may help me along the way? I really enjoy the small bit of knitting I do know how to do and would like to make this a long-term hobby for me.
katiegrace is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

One way you can learn to "read" your knitting is to knit up a small (maybe 4") square, and intentionally make certain mistakes in the knitting, marking them with a safety pin or stitch marker, and continuing to knit. Write down what mistakes you made on which marker. Then when you're done with the square, go back and take each safety pin out one by one as you "read" what your mistakes look like.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
katiegrace
Casting On

I'm not sure how to use a stitch marker I guess it's off to the knitting videos again Thanks for the tip! One more question...Does a hat on circular needles sound like a good second project for a beginner? Or is there another project that would be better? I'm doing great at the scarf as long as I don't have to fix any mistakes.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I've just pm'ed you a simple hat on dpns which can be used with any yarn for any size head. (The way it's charted won't work well in the format of this reply box.) I'd print it out and circle the numbers for which yarn and which size you're making.
And don't worry about being confused at this point. It takes time to figure it all out. No one's born knowing how to do this-- we all went through it. Good luck!
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Oops, I just realized that the same problem will come up in a PM message. Why don't you copy what I sent, paste it into your word processor and then just increase the margins in the document. Then the numbers will all line up correctly.

And about the stitch markers-- they are just little plastic rings you slide onto your needles between 2 stitches to show where you are. If they come between the needles on dpns, then just use a small safety pin and pin in between 2 sts not far below the needles so you know where you are.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
It can be intimidating, but I've learned that it's all much easier than it looks. You can't learn if you don't try so go for it! We are here to help.

Circular stitch markers go ON the needles to mark a stitch before or after it. Sometimes you might have two with a stitch in the center. They are used to denote that you'll be doing something like an increase or decrease or they can be used to just mark a certain number of stitches.

I'm glad you've watched the videos. Here's some more help that is just photos if you need to see it that way, too.
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes

Here's a hat video -
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/How_to_Knit_a_Hat

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-19-2009)
Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I promise you will get it! My first project didn't even have purls in it at all- it was all knit!

Once you knit more, you will learn how to see what you have done and learn ways to fix it. (like knit stitches look like v's, and purl stitches have a bump)

If you want to try the hat, cast on for that sucker and just start knitting! You can do it- and we're here if you run into trouble. When I started knitting I tried to learn at least one new thing with every project (except for a strange compulsion to knit little baby hats, I could NOT stop making them one right after the other in all their little top-knot or earflap cuteness). Since I would rather have a useful item- I practiced new techniques on actual projects. Dishcloths are good to practice on- anything kinda small.

Good luck, be fearless in knitting, and YOU CAN DO IT!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
margz3
Working the Gusset

Don't get too discouraged! It will all fall into place eventually! I stuck with alot of scarves to get really familiar with reading my knitting, then added different things (such as cables) to keep the project interesting and to keep myself learning! I have made a couple of baby sweaters (I was scared to death to try it) and it is much easier than you would think! One thing I was told was not to read too far into a pattern, but just dive in and do it...one row at a time. That gave me ALOT of confidence!

So, I just finished my very first hat, knit in the round on circs and finished with dpns..... and it was a lace pattern. I had neither knit in the round or used dpns before because I was too scared. Well, now I know I can do it (though I'm not sure I did the dpn part exactly right, but it came out looking ok!) and it has given me the confidence to go on and try something else...maybe even socks!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
katiegrace
Casting On

Thanks everyone!! I am excited to learn more!! I hope I can get the hang of it easily.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Good for you, but DON'T be intimidated, you learn much MORE from your mistakes than your successes (in anything in life). So venture on and if it's something you can't fix, all you have to do is frog and start over, it's not as if the needles and yarn will be unusable, right?!?
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote