Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

knitting socks
I haven't knit socks in decades but I'm keen to get on with a pair once my sweater is finished so I went to the LYS yesterday to ask about the best yarn for a nice thick pair of socks for my hubby. He wants to wear them in his rubbers so his feet stay warm.
The first thing she told me was that I needed a yarn with some nylon running thru it or the sock would not last even one wearing.
Then she showed me the sock yarn they had in the store. It was pretty but very thin. She said I could double it but I think I'd have to triple it at least to get the thickness my dh wants and, frankly, the prices were really high even if I was just knitting with one strand.
I remember knitting thick socks for my Dad. He had just had a stroke and the brace for his leg was rubbing his leg raw. The socks were just the thing and he wore them for ages. I thought I had used a worsted yarn back then.
So I got to wondering... what yarn do you use? Is there a rule about it for socks and is sock yarn the only thing that I should use?
Thanks,
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
I usually use some kind of blend since I can't wear 100% wool. I like wearing knitted socks around the house, so I found that Wool-Ease by Lion Brand makes for a good pair in my own preference. It's cheap, and comes in a decent amount of colors. Plus, they take no time to knit.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Is there a rule? Well, the rule is to use the right right pattern to work with the gauge of the yarn. Meaning, if I'm using a very fine sock yarn, maybe 9 sts to the inch, then I use a pattern with that suggested gauge. There are a number of patterns for worsted weight. Here's a free one for 6 sts per inch: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60049.html?noImages= . Here's one for 5 sts per inch: http://mary4169.tripod.com/Easy_Worsted_Socks.pdf .

As for the content of the yarn-- yes, having some nylon or other acrylic in it does make it much harder-wearing and will give some other fibers, such as cotton, more elasticity. But having said that, I've made socks out of pure cotton that worked because I wore them in boots, so they were held up against my feet, and also because I liked the slouchy tops.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imrachel For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-15-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Are there really any true "rules" in knitting? The knitting police aren't going to come get you for doing something "wrong" so don't worry about what anyone else says. The LYS owner probably didn't realise that you wanted to make a thicker sock and was showing you traditional sock yarns in fingering weight.
I made socks out of worsted weight before and they are great. The one issue would be that they might be so thick they don't fit into his boots, so I would try to use a sport weight. They have several sport weight sock yarns out there and they would be made with nylon in them.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-15-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I used to make worsted weight wool socks for hubby when he worked outside and needed the extra warmth. I used nylon harness thread in the heel for reinforcement. When the heels wore out I could use the harness thread to make it easier to darn the socks.
TEMA (03-15-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I don't do rules. I use what I want and adjust to make it fit.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-15-2009)
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Thank you...
Thanks, All, for your wonderful advice...
I really like the sound of the worsted weight socks and I don't think they will be too thick for my hubby's gumboots, which are huge!
TEMA
Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
Mike
Working the Gusset

I use Lion Wool.

It lasts a lot longer than store bought wool socks as long as you don't felt it.

They're easy to reknit too. I get about 2 toes to one heel. Once you knit the leg that shouldn't wear out for a very long time.

I fit them in my shoes.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-19-2009)
Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
I don't do rules. I use what I want and adjust to make it fit.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Well, the upshot has been that I'm not really keen to shop at my LYS. I still go if I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else.... or else I go the the store in the next town.
I got to thinking I didn't want someone saying I 'can't' do what I want to do... better to try it first is my thinking.
I appreciate everyone's replies...
Thank you so much...
TEMA