Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Lyndalm
1st Leg of the Journey

Hand massaging gloves?
I've been having trouble with my hand and was wondering if those hand-eze/hand massaging gloves are worth getting? If so, what brand?

TIA
Lyndalm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

It all depends on *why* you're having problems with your hand. If the muscles or bones are needing support, or if you need your hand to stay warm, or some such, then yes, they'll help. I don't know enough about the brands to know if one is better than another -- but some of my crafting friends of various sorts swear by them in general.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Lyndalm (03-18-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm curious about this as well. My thumb joints get sore, especially when I do a lot of crochet. I alternate between knitting and crocheting to give them a rest, but can't help but think some kind of glove might help.
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

Could someone give a link to these gloves?
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Go to joann.com and search for "glove" -- you'll find several different kinds.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Cirrus (03-17-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
KnittedRose
Ribbing the Cuff

Many who knit, crochet, spin, weave, or do similar crafts, can have hand, neck, and shoulder issues. As a massage therapist, I would suggest that you try to find a good massage therapist that is familiar with trigger point therapy. It provides great relief and with a minimal amount of hands on instruction you can learn how to do it on yourself. I regularly work the trigger points in my arms and hands, (caused by both knitting and by doing massage) I teach my clients to do the same. Massaging a joint gently will help it produce more synovial fluid, which helps to cushion the joint. Try massaging between the bones on your hands, a good soak in warm water can sometimes bring temporary relief. Hope that helps some.
KR
KnittedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KnittedRose For This Useful Post:
biztec (03-18-2009), Cirrus (03-18-2009), Lyndalm (03-18-2009), MAmaDawn (03-17-2009), melmac51 (03-18-2009)
Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Ditto on the massage/trigger point stuff. My chiropractor showed me what to do, and I rarely have any tendonitis type issues now. You can be dealing with referred pain, as well (i.e., some of *my* wrist/thumb pain issues are relieved by massaging up near my elbow). In other words, deal with the source as well as the manifestation of the pain.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

Great post, Knitted Rose. Once a massage therapist helped me tremendously with plantars fasciitis, so I am a total believer! It can be extremely helpful to the hands also. Thanks for the suggestions.
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote