Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Knitting club...?
I live in a condo and don't know that much about the people here but, since I've gotten back into knitting, I'm thinking that some of the other people here might have the same interests.
The condo is for 55 and older and most of the people who live here are a lot older than I am... (ahem...)
I was thinking of posting a note asking if anyone is interested in knitting and getting together to knit. It could be a great thing for some of us to get to know each other and could be better than meeting every Tuesday for tea - tho' that is nice too.
At least, if I'm knitting, I'm not eating...
So what do you think... Have you done something similar where you live? Do you belong to a knitting club... I mean other than online...
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I've gone to various knitting meetings now, usually for one or two times only, as I move around. It can be a little intimidating, as at first people can appear quite standoffish...but usually someone finally will say hello or I will and start up a conversation...things usually go fine from there!

Anyway, they're loads of fun, and it's always surprising how much you find in common with people once you talk long enough.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn

Last edited by globaltraveler : 03-19-2009 at 09:04 PM.
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-21-2009)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
scout52
Working the Gusset

I belong to a knitting club. It's great. I truly treasure the friendships that I made there. We meet once a week sometimes more if we want to do some more activities.

I recommend you post the note and see what happens.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scout52 For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-21-2009)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
merri
Casting On

Hi--
I go to a knitting group that meets at the library from 1-4 every Wed. It may be better to call it a 'group' instead of a 'club', where one might think others will try to make them a member or join.
We advertise that our 'group' is open to people 'dropping in' anytime between those hours. Some come late--no problem. Everyone is always welcome, and it sure is amazing what you can learn from the more experienced knitters! People are always willing to help. We used to meet at an art center and would have tea, and sometimes a treat that someone would bring. But now the library is a no-food area, but it is quieter and just as much fun. YES! Put up your notice. Good luck! Merri
merri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to merri For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-21-2009)
Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Kattra
Ribbing the Cuff

I put up flires all over town with my e-mail trying to get one started but no luck yet.... *Sighs* people ignor me when I knit in publick they ignor my flires the ignor my when I do group activeties inless I corner them for a conversation.... I just don't knit it... I am a clean inteleget resonabley okay looking person why wont any one not conpelled to by being a shop clerk talk to me!? :(
Kattra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kattra For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-21-2009)
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I meet up with some gals @ the library once a month. Good times! We all ooh & ahh over our projects, get and give help, and teach the newbie's who pop in. We even have a couple of gals who do loom knitting- and some crochet instead of knit (very helpful for me with dubious crochet edging instructions on things.)

I say go for it-what's the worst that could happen- some new friends?

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simply_Renee For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-21-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

At the nursing home where I work, a learn to knit group was started. I was hesitant to join in, because I all ready knew how to knit, but the 'teacher' said come on bring your knitting and maybe you can help answer questions. We have some employees and some residents show up, and we have a blast. We have non knitting residents (some not by choice) come and enjoy watching and talking.

I say go for it. You never know what might happen.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knittingincarolina For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-21-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I think that sounds like a great idea. It might be interesting to open the offer to any hand crafts and you may also get people who crochet or cross stitch. I have a couple of friends who knit but a regular get together with others would be fun.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I agree ... put up the sign and just show up yourself. What have you got to lose? I would be patient with it though - it may take a while to catch on. I took about 1 year for my group to really come together. But after about 3 years of meeting on Friday mornings (we rotate houses) we have become wonderful friends and do things together outside of the knitting group.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-21-2009)
Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
TEMA
Turning the Heel

OKAY! I'm going to do it.
I have to admit that my reluctance to start has a lot to do with my illness which leaves me totally weak and unable to put two words together sometimes. Not a good time to drive... LOL!
But I'm thinking, on those days, maybe the group could meet at my apartment...
I'm also thinking of doing it - to start - only every other week...
What do you think?
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote