Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

Boye Needlemaster
Since I am going to knit my first sweater soon, I had decided to buy the Knitpicks Options needle set in Nickel. However, I was walking through Michael's today with a 50% off coupon, and there, hanging on the wall, was a Boye Needlemaster. I couldn't help myself and I bought it for a total of $38. Was I wearing sale goggles? I have heard bad reviews on them, but I have read about a couple of people who like them.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
They're not bad for knitting sweaters in the round (or flat) or for long flat items. They're a bit of a pain to Magic loop with, but you might be able to do 2 circs instead.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

I have the Boye set and I really like them. I got them brand new from ebay for like $20. I just couldn't afford the more expensive sets.

I find the more you use them, the more flexible the cords get. My longest cord (32", I think?) does magic loop easy-peasy after doing a couple of baby sweaters. I've never had an issue with my needles coming unscrewed, and I never even use the little key to tighten them.

(plus I love all the pretty coloured needles, and that the case fits right into my knitting bag!)

AngieLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I bought them first too. They were a nice set to start out with. But after getting the Options, I gave them to my Mom.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I just could not resist $38. I also love the pointy ends (I am finding that I knit tightly) and the pretty colors.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I really like my Boye set - in fact I have 2 sets b/c I really like doing things in the round on 2 circ rather than magic loop or DPN. The cords can be a little stiff so I just warm them under water with my hands if they get too unruly.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Sharp tips is something that Boye has going for it whether in the set or individual needles. I like using them for lace.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

I bought boye 24" fixed circulars in size 8 and now I understand what some have complained about. The cable is a stiff nylon and at times wants to bend the wrong way.

I recently received a set of Knit Picks circulars in size 2 and am very please with the more flexible cable.

Now, since I like the bend in the Boye circ, and the cable on the Knit Picks... I'm wondering if someone sells a set that combines these features? Maybe I need to design my own circ's.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
This is good to know! Thanks to everyone for posting some GOOD NEWS about the Boye set. I like how colorful they are, and when I sometimes use an old US6 Boye fixed circ, I love how the finish feels in my hands. The tips are slim but without the hurtful sharp tip of OPTIONS.

I have OPTIONS, too, but I can't always use them cuz of their very sharp tips. So then I have to go to Addi, whose tips are very bulbous and round. But, sometimes I'm forced to take the pain of OPTIONS cuz I'm working a lot of ssk's and k2tog's, and cables and so forth.

I use a lot of single ply yarns, and OPTIONS split those fibers very easily and frequently. So then its out with the ADDIS again.

I thought that the BOYE set would be the best of both worlds.
I'm gonna give them a try, based on the good things I read in this thread. Edited later: I purchased the set on sale at Joann's.com and there was another sale of 40% off, so I got the set for $42 $69.99 less 40%=$41.99), plus a one time $2.95 shipping cuz I set up an account with them as a new member! Good buy!

My girlfriend, Barbara, has the BOYE set, and she loves it.

I'm anxious to try it out.

I know that laying the cords in a bowl of almost boiling water for a few seconds TOTALLY relaxes the cables. Besides that, if you store the cables hanging over something, instead of coiling them back up for storage, they won't get kinky again. Just leave a set of tips on each cord, and lay them over the arm of your sofa, or wherever you knit. I stab two hat pins in the end of my sofa arm, and lay the needles, any needles I'm currently using, across the end of the arm, and the hatpins prevent them from falling to the floor.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

I bought myself a Boye Needlemaster set for Christmas and I like them. I've not had any problem with them, the kit case is very handy and fits in my knitting bag. I like that you can buy extra cables and needles easily.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote