Old 11-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to sorantes123
Knitters in Northern California
HI to you all!
I'M new and embarrassed that I don't yet understand blogging. I wrote Jan and asked some dumb questions but I figure I will try this and see how it goes. And I will wait for her answers at some point.
I have been knitting and crocheting since I was 11 or 12, about 45 years or so. I started with doilies and socks. No more doilies because I wear glasses now and still can't see the thread well. I wore those socks for years though.
I taught myself after a try at lessons at a local knit shop. My first try there was a sweater knitted with mohair and circulars. Well it was all the craze in the early 60's. The owner let me trade in that yarn for another wool. I still had that stuff for years after I actually learned .
I am addicted to yarn. I have boxes and boxes of stash. I just can't hardly say no to any beautiful yarn.
These days I knit for my grandkids and some for my adult kids. I usually knit at least 2 sweaters every fall for the kids each. They ALWAYS have to have a hooded sweatshirt type with a kangaroo pocket in fron. I am SOOOO tired of that pattern but it is an easy from the top down and all-in-one-piece.
Years ago I discovered circulars for real and have converted ALL my patterns to circular with no or as few seams as possible. I have 3 sets of circulars, 2 Boyes and one Susan Bates (I think). And, of course, all the DPNs in all sizes to go with.
The circulars are great now that I have arthritis. My elbows used to get tired and hurt. Hurray for circulars!
I knit starting in October until it gets too hot. (Red Bluff gets over 110 in the summer.) Then I read and take the grandkids to the library all summer. This past summer the two oldest, 5 and 7, read 110 books. They each got 3 Round Table Pizzas, 1 for each 20 books, to a maximum of three pizzas.
Well, this was sort of fun, though I don't know how all you knitters find time for blogging AND knitting! Well, I'm going back to the knitting pile. I have 2 sweaters OTN and a few scarves and of course many projects waiting in the wings.

If there are any knitters in real Northern CA (north of Sacramento) let me know. I just can't seem to include San Francisco in N CA tho Sacramento counts!

Sharon, the kntting GMA
sorantes123 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
There are no stupid questions..we all had to learn sometime!

Letah and jcmom both list themselves as Northern CA, but I'm not sure where they are and I'm sure there are probably more. Just check back occasionally or subscribe to this thread. It may take awhile for someone to see it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

How to Subscribe
Thanks Jan,
Now how do I subscribe to this thread and/or others?
Sharon
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

One More ???
I went and changed my signature but it still says sorantes123 and not, Sharon, the knitting GMA.

so, now what????
Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
Originally Posted by sorantes123 View Post
Thanks Jan,
Now how do I subscribe to this thread and/or others?
Sharon
Just like I told you in the PM - If you forget to subscribe till after you've posted then you go back to the first post made in the thread and click edit then advanced edit and scroll down. See screenshot. It looks like you already did since it says "instant email notification".

Quote:
I went and changed my signature but it still says sorantes123 and not, Sharon, the knitting GMA.

so, now what????
You can't change your username. Only an administrator can do that so if you want to change that PM me with the new name. The signature is what shows at the bottom of your posts. Go to your User CP again and click edit signature and you can just put your name there. It's easier than changing the username.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Hi Sharon,
I just thought I'd say hello -- I'm not as far north as Red Bluff, I live near Folsom, but I know how hot it gets up there! Down here we're lucky enough to get the occasional sea breeze in the summer to relieve the heat.

And I know what you mean about yarn addiction! I have to try to discipline myself to stay away from the auctions on Ebay; my small work room is piled high with all sorts of yarn I bought there over the last few months. And I'm such a slow knitter that I've probably already achieved SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy)!

Welcome to KH, it's a great place to hang out!

Christine
cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for saying hi. I have been to Folsom a few times. Its really quite a pretty "old town". Like Old Sac but more of it! I got my Drug/Alcohol Counseling Certificate from a school near Folsom. So a few years back Itraveled there every weekend. Stayed with the cousin of a friend in the class who lived in El Dorado HIlls. I wouldn't be able to find my way back there if I were paid.
So what are you knitting these days? I have lots of things started. Two from the top down sweaters, a scarf, a set of slippers for an elderly friend and I may make some for myself. I never think of myself when its time to knit.
And I think we are alike. I had never heard of SABLE...but I KNOW I have acheived that status. I worked with computers for years but am sadly lacking in forum and blogging skills! I dont know what the abbreviations mean. DH has something to do with the husband, but what does it exactly mean?
Thanks again for the note.
Sharon, the Knitting GMA
Old 11-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Gretaoto
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello,

I live in Petaluma, and it is alright being here. I am originally from Chicago though.

The internet is a confusing thing, I still don't understand all these abbreviations and I am 21. DH means I think, darling husband, but can be used to describe anyone really, DS (son), DD(daughter)...and so on.

Where is Red Bluff? It sounds like some sort of mountainous area, pretty.

Right now, I am knitting baby items, mostly small socks or sweaters but I seem to run out of ideas or patterns, so if you have any free patterns to share please do!! I think my favorite baby item to knit is socks since they are so fast and super cute.
Gretaoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Red Bluff is about 2 hours north of Sacramento on I-5. We are in the middle of the Sacramento Valley between two mountain ranges. So it is moderate to cold in the winter and VERY HOT (100-118) in the summer. It got it's name from the red dirt here. In the late 1800's and early 1900's the steamship lines came as far north as Red Bluff but could go no further on the Sacramento River because of the dangerous currents. There were high bluffs here above the river and were of course, red. Most people who were traveling north would stop here, buy horses, wagons, and goods and travel on to their destinations. Later, when dams, etc were put in the ships could no longer reach this spot on the river.
We used to have a wonderful LYS here but not any more. We have to travel to either Chico or Redding, both between 30 min and 1 hour away. We have WalMart, but what good is Wallyworld when you want nice yarn for something special?!
Where is Petaluma exactly? I have heard of it but never been there. An ex had and Aunt & Uncle who lived there about 30 years ago. Thats all I know...not much!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Gretaoto
Ribbing the Cuff

Red Bluff sure sounds pretty. Petaluma is about an hour from San Francisco I think. I don't know anything about the area but it is okay. All I see and smell are cows and deer. Where I live is more farm area, but downtown Petaluma is nice. I lived in a small town in Ohio before coming here which was so small. I do miss living in Chicago though, there were so many places to go and it was much easier to travel and shop.

I wish I could visit Red Bluff, you gave such a good description/history of the place. Maybe I will see it someday.

I don't usually shop at yarn store seeing as I have a hard time spending a lot of money. If I want to buy wool yarn then I use knitpicks.com, but usually I use acrylics so I go to Michaels and use either Caron Simply Soft or Caron Perfect Match. I would love to buy luxury yarn but I just couldn't bring myself to it. But knitpicks is as good as I get and I really do enjoy their yarn.
Gretaoto is offline   Reply With Quote