Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
SusanHughesLenehan
Casting On

Pattern Help Needed Please
Hi

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with a pattern that I am having great difficulty with. I am an experienced knitter but I have never come across such a complex pattern. I have requested help from the publisher but have not received any reply. The pattern is a cabled bolero. It is knit as one piece which combines 11 pentagons and the two sleeves are slotted in. Regardless of how I work it, I cannot get the pentagons to knit together. The pattern is set out below:

Last edited by Ingrid : 03-19-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: too much of pattern
SusanHughesLenehan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I'm sorry, but I had to take out the pattern that you posted since putting that much in would be a violation of copyright laws.

However, without the charts, I don't think anyone could have helped much.

Your best bet is to explain what you have so far, what is supposed to come next, and where the problem is coming in.

Where is the pattern from? Someone may have a copy and can help from that. Is there a link to the pattern or a picture of the finished bolero?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Is that a pattern that was on the cover of vogue knitting, maybe a couple issues ago? So sounds like something I remember from that mag.

If so, check over at the vogue knitting website - they might have a message board or a way to get some help.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Vogueknitting.com also publishes corrections to pattern on the site as well.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
SusanHughesLenehan
Casting On

Reply to all helpers
Thanks to all who replied, I very much appreciate your help. Yes you are right, this pattern was in the Vogue Knitting catelogue for Winter 2006/2007.
My problem arises when I knit the pentagon, it doesn't form the shape of a pentagon and there are no clear sides (I would expect the pentagon to have 5 clear sides). This makes it difficult to know what side to knit the next pentagon onto because each subsequent pentagon is knitted by picking up stitches along the 'edge' of the previous pentagon.
I think it will be difficult for anyone to help unless they actually have a copy of the pattern from Vogue Knitting.
I look forward to hearing back from anyone who can help.
Thanks again.
Susan
SusanHughesLenehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm guessing that the pentagon involves some rows with increases followed by rows with decreases? (probably starting from an edge and going to a point, rather than the other way around)

If so, you could 'flag' the corners with removable markers or scrap yarn ... cast on, add markers (maybe a row or two later), do the increases, add markers, add the fifth marker, et voila, a pentagram of sorts that you know where the corners are. You can then pick up stitches between two of the markers....

I knit, therefore I am.

Current projects: a hat, one pair of socks, a pair of fingerless gloves, and zero sanity. Future projects: more socks, more gloves (some with fingers, even!), a tea cozy, a penguin scarf, and even less sanity.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Plus I would think each pick up stitch would correspond to each bound off stitch on the previous pentagon - so, if they say to pick up 10, those 10 bound off sitches are one side of the pentagon.

Or maybe... if there are total 100 stitches around the outside edge of the pentagon, divided by 5 means each side is 20 stitches.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote