Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
merri
Casting On

Gifts of Knitted Items
Would anyone care to discuss how you present a gift to someone of a knitted garmet or other item? For instance, do you take a photo of it first? Do you give the recipient one of the ball bands and/or instructions on caring for the item? Do you keep a record of the size needles and swatch of the yarn or? Just wondering what others do, etc. Thanks! From a 'somewhat' newbie here....

Merri
merri is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I have always taken pics, and if it's not a casual gift but something special, I give them a ball band or instructions so they can care for it properly, yes. With knitting, I plan to post it on my Rav account so I have the info on needles, yarn, etc.

When i was regularly sewing wedding gowns, I used to buy an extra yard of fabric and lace, and would wait to see if they had a baby while they were still in my ken...and then I'd make a christening gown out of the fabric!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I try to remember to take pictures, but typically forget. I've found not too many of the people I gift knitted item too will read the ball band so instead of that I attach a small tag to the item that says something along the lines of "Item handknit for Suzy Q by Suzy T and is hand washable only."

I have grand plans of being so organized as to keep pictures, a swatch, notes etc and put it all in a page protector in a notebook.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

A knitter in my LYS group writes out the washing instructions on a 3 X 5 card, punches 2 holes in the card, and then ties a piece of the yarn to it. She says she does it because people lose the ball bands, and this way they can just put it in a drawer in their laundry room or in their dresser or where ever. She said the reason for the yarn tie is so they know which item the instructions belong to if she's knitted several things for them over the years. I think that's very clever!
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imrachel For This Useful Post:
auntcrafty (03-20-2009), KathleenG (03-23-2009), texangryphon (03-21-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I'm not good at all at keeping records of what I've made - no pics, no notes, nada. Sometimes I regret I'm so lazy in this regard, but not so much that I change my ways.

Sometimes with a gift I'll again get lazy and just give the ball band, but most often I'll make a 'tag' with the washing directions on it and maybe cut/paste the photo from the pattern so they can see it being worn/used - just type it up in Word, formated so I can cut it out and tie it the item.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Having only worked in acrylic yarns for hats and scarves, I get off easy on this detail.

Ah, the simple things in life.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I generally forget to take pictures and am not good about written care instructions so I give verbal. I mainly gift socks so I use machine washable yarn to make it easy for the recipients.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
Normally, the people I knit for are family members. So after they open the gift I tell them how to care for it, it's usually my mom or my sister and they knit also, so it's not a big deal. For others or children I use washable and dryable so there isn't a problem.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

I made up some tags with care instructions in Word and printed them out. Cut them out, punched a hole in the corner, and tie it to the knitted item with the same yarn as I made it with.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Anarfea
1st Leg of the Journey

I think Superwash Merino was invented for gift knitting.

But I really wish I had thought to make some kind of tag/speak to my boyfriend's mother about the alpaca scarf I knit him 2 Christmases ago. Since she's a knitter/crocheter, I thought she would know better than to put it in the washing machine, but...

He still wears the scarf. And it's still really soft. But the texture pattern I worked so hard on is unreadable now, and the colors muddied. So next time, I will make little tags with the care instructions like you guys said.

Find me on Ravelry as TheNatKnits
Anarfea is offline   Reply With Quote