Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
sidmaul
Casting On

how to knit pocket lining
Hi! My user name is sidmaul and I am new to this Forum. I am completely confused with my knitting. I am knitting a tunic with cable panels and pockets. At the very start I knitted the outside of the pocket and put the stitches on a thread of wool and put that in my bag. Now I am knitting the front and it tells me to do "pocket linings". Again I have to:
K20, slip 40 sts onto a thread, patt 40 sts of Pocket Lining as follows:
k8, patt from * to* as given for 1st row of cable panel, k8, patt 42 etc etc. The patt 42 is carrying on with the main part of the front again and then I have to put another 40 sts on a thread and work them. How do I do this when they are on a thread, I have only one pair of needles the right size and am already working with 3 balls of wool to get the colours in the right place for the front. If I try to work the pocket now I will have to put another coloured panel in the middle of the pocket lining. I am just totally confused as I cannot knit on and just leave the 40 sts on a thread for later (as I at first planned to do) as they are just in the way and it would leave a huge hole in the front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/im.../aug08_029.gif

Thanks, sidmaul
sidmaul is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
Let's see. First, you will need a hole in the front because that's the pocket opening.

Usually, a pattern has you work the pocket linings first and set them aside. It sounds like you did this. However, I've always experienced pocket linings as the inside of the pocket. The pocket linings are the things you put in your bag. I don't think they're the outside of the pocket.

You're now going to work across the sweater up to the pocket, put the present stitches on a thread, and work the stitches from the pocket lining that you did earlier. The stitches that will now be on the thread are the top edge of the pocket. I'm sure at some point in the finishing process you'll put these back on a needle and finish the top edge of the pocket (and sew down the sides of the pocket lining to the inside of the sweater.)

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote