Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
allynealy
Casting On

Newbie needle question
Forgive this newbie
I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for.
I am trying to do some research on needles. I just started knitting and I think I am already addicted. I want some good needles. I have one pair of circular needles (boye). I don't like that the cable is so stiff (that is my only complaint). MY SIL knits and I have used her knit picks circular nickel plated set. I am looking at this option or their wooden set. I just found this website eknittingneedles.com. Their sets are extremely cheap but they are not interchangeable. Does anyone have these? Are they good? I tried to see if they have a return policy but I don't see one. My question is what other brands should I look into? I heard Denise is a good brand.
TIA for the help,
Allyson
allynealy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

My experience with that style of circulars has been terrible. The bamboo needle part is inserted into the plastic tubing (which is very stiff and kinks instead of bending) and that with any stress, they pull out of it. I don't know about their straight and dpns, though I did get a very similar looking set from eBay and ended up with bugs in the packets. And I would not be thrilled with a company which lists 15 circular needles as "30 count". No one counts each needle tip as "1".

Maybe I'm too suspicious, but the prices are a little suspect as far as I'm concerned. For a complete set of DPNs, 15 sizes, 5 needles in each size, they charge $30. With free shipping. So let's say that's $5, which means the price is really $25. That means that each set is $1.67. So that means they paid maybe $1 for each set of 5, which is 20 cents per needle. That sounds as if the quality of the wood or workmanship is going to be pretty bad. Or they're using 8 year olds in a 3rd world country to manufacture these things?. . .I don't know, but I'd steer clear.

Here's something to remember-- knitting needles do not go bad. Spending some extra money is a good investment in the long run. A set of Harmony circs is $75, as opposed to $30 from the other. We're talking a difference of $45, not $450, and over years and years of use, that comes to a few pennies per month. I'd go for it!

Last edited by imrachel : 03-23-2009 at 12:16 PM.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
MargieD
Casting On

I don't like using circular needles, but when I have too, I soak them in hot water first and let them hang straight, then the plastic cable is easier to manipulate. Enjoy
MargieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

MargieD, you might be happier with a different brand of circs. Although some people just don't like them, period, of course. But the knitpicks ones and those by Kollage are very, very soft and never kink or curl or twist up on you.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
of troy
Turning the Heel

Needles are a knitters tools.

and there come in endless variety.

and not all needles are good for everything.

I like metal needles best, but i have some (40year old!) nylon ones. (a milky white plastic, seamless construction.. the cord and tip are the same material--the tips are just thicker!)
that i like too.

I don't like bamboo needle much--I know alot of new knitters do--they are bit 'tackier' and hold the stitches better..

I don't have knitpicks metal or Addis--(I have so many needle i can't justify spending money on more needles.)

i agree, the boye cable are stiffer, --and the boye interchangele set cables are even stiffer..

but when i learned to knit (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) circ's were made from steel--and had steel 'piano wire' type cables.. (those cables--(real wire cables!) not cords!) were so stiff--that by comparison, boyes are dream!

my style has changed too--more and more i use circ's--and if i had the money, i'd buy every kind of needle i could..

the wooden square ones, the signature needles with a bunch of tips, every kind of interchangable.. (well maybe not the denise--i don't much like them) glass needles, and balene--and antique needles and super fine stiff wire needles (in sizes 0(4) to 0(10) even though i almost never use my 0 or 00's!

the best needle is always elusive.. somewhere down the road..
in the meanwhile, i just keep buying needles
Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

[GVIDEO]the best needle is always elusive.. somewhere down the road..
in the meanwhile, i just keep buying needles[/GVIDEO]
Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
mitimom
Casting On

I've been knitting a LONG time and use all sorts of needles, even ones my kids have made for me with dowel rods and polymer clay. I did finally treat myself to a set of Denise needles and use them endlessly. Well worth the cost. Nice flexable cables. They have a synthetic needle (vinyl?). All the "yarn" I've tried has moved well not too slippery or slow.
mitimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
allynealy
Casting On

mitimom,
What comes in the Denise set? I was confused by their site. How many needles do you get, what size cables, what else do I need or is the set all I need as a beginner? I want to knit diaper covers, socks, hats, and I don't know what else yet.
Is interchangeable really the way to go?
allynealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

There is some misleading informtion on their site-- they state that no one "has reported" problems getting through airport security with their needles. That doesn't mean it hasn't or won't happen. I would never take needles I cared about through security. If you get the one agent who says you can't take them on, you will have to throw them away-- unless you're going to bring a mailing envelope with you, get out of line, go find a possible mail box in the airport and send them back to yourself!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Craw
Knitting the Flap

My favorite so far is Addi Turbo. Then again, I also like bamboo. I've tried some bamboo brands but the only ones I really like are from KA and made in Japan. I just scored 3 sets of them this weekend and I want MORE! hee hee I also got a couple of Plymouth Yarn Co. circs. Not bad. No Addi Turbo but truly not bad. I also just realized Plymouth makes bamboo circular needles in an interchangable set. (scroll down the page)
http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=Needles.main
I haven't tried them yet but if I ever find them, I might!
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-09-2009)