Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Craw View Post
My favorite so far is Addi Turbo. Then again, I also like bamboo. I've tried some bamboo brands but the only ones I really like are from KA and made in Japan. I just scored 3 sets of them this weekend and I want MORE! hee hee I also got a couple of Plymouth Yarn Co. circs. Not bad. No Addi Turbo but truly not bad. I also just realized Plymouth makes bamboo circular needles in an interchangable set. (scroll down the page)
http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=Needles.main
I haven't tried them yet but if I ever find them, I might!
Try this: http://www.fabulousyarn.com/gift_bamboosisterkit.shtml
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
Angieknits
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm a very thrifty spender and I bought the set of needles that AllyNealy is talking about from eknittingneedles.com and I love em. I just finished my first sock with a set of #3's today. I haven't had any problems they're super smooth, and no splintery pieces or anything. No bugs, and they each came in their own numbered packages. I will say I'm disappointed because I (stupidly) set my project bag on the couch and my hyper-active 4 year old jumped on it and one of the needles broke. But that was MY fault. I really like my cheapo needles.
Angieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
linknit41
1st Leg of the Journey

Craw, i got a set of the Plymouth interchangeable bamboo and was thrilled, until i put them together--the place where the bamboo the metal part join was very rough and uneven and i returned them. Of course, maybe i just got a *lemon*! a year or so later, my dd gave me a set of knitpicks harmony wooden needles and really like them, they are smooth without being too slippery, plus the colors are lovely. linknit41
linknit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
KnitChick13
Casting On

Personally, I never use circular needles. But when i use ANY kind of needle, i ALWAYS use bamboo. So yea. I NEVER use plastic and i only use metal when my bamboo ones ore being used.
KnitChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Since you asked for other needle suggestions- I love my Harmony needles from Knit Picks. I am planning on ordering the metal set soon too. Flexible cables, great customer service, LOVE!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by allynealy View Post
mitimom,
What comes in the Denise set? I was confused by their site. How many needles do you get, what size cables, what else do I need or is the set all I need as a beginner? I want to knit diaper covers, socks, hats, and I don't know what else yet.
Is interchangeable really the way to go?
I have the Denise interchangeables and adore them. They aren't too tacky or too slick. The cable is thicker, so it doesn't twist (which I find truly annoying) and the stitches aren't loose and floppy on it, making it easier for me to count them. The tips are ever so slightly flexible for doing k2tog and ssk and the needles are soft and warm to the hands. The price isn't bad either!!
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
MarisaLoveCat
Casting On

The "DPNs, 15 sizes, 5 needles in each size" that mentioned above are really expensive. Compared with the these needles which just need about $16. No matter the type and brand of the needles, as i see, the smooth surface should be the first choice.
MarisaLoveCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by MarisaLoveCat View Post
The "DPNs, 15 sizes, 5 needles in each size" that mentioned above are really expensive. Compared with the these needles which just need about $16. No matter the type and brand of the needles, as i see, the smooth surface should be the first choice.
Ahhh, but the fine print: you have to order a minimum of $30. Also, the others (which I personally don't recommend) aren't that much of a price difference. These above, are $16.42 for the set, PLUS shipping. If your packet is, say, 8 oz, you're going to have to add on $5.33. That's $21.75. The others are $29.99, so a difference of $8.24. A lot of dpns can be $10 - 15 for just ONE size! As for the smooth surface-- if they aren't or if they arrive broken or missing a needle, you have to ship them back to China. If you do something like go through knitpicks, if you have a problem, you just pick up the phone and they immediately send you a new one and don't even ask you to return the others.

If it's a bad deal, on one hand, you're only out $20 - 30, but if price is a big concern, then I assume you wouldn't want that to happen. My one plus on these very cheap needles is that it's a good way to get used to knitting on straights or dpns. But I would never recommend the circs because of the very poor quality of the cord and the joins.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

How are the cables on the Knit Pick interchangeables sets? Too tight and stiff or okay?
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by cresmoon View Post
How are the cables on the Knit Pick interchangeables sets? Too tight and stiff or okay?
In a word-- perfect. They are soft but not flimsy, and never kink or curl. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about their cords.