Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #31
MarisaLoveCat
Casting On

Yes, there is a 30$ minimum order on 8season, but the needles and knitting tools are so fabulous to buy a lot. Many Ravelry friends have good shopping experience there. Maybe next time i will consiver a group order.
MarisaLoveCat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #32
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MarisaLoveCat View Post
The "DPNs, 15 sizes, 5 needles in each size" that mentioned above are really expensive. Compared with the these needles which just need about $16. No matter the type and brand of the needles, as i see, the smooth surface should be the first choice.
Has anybody used these? I wonder because the site says things like, "to a certain extent the diameter of the needle affects the size of the stitch..." What???!!! That IS how the size of the stitch is determined

Also, they do custom sizes...not sure about that, either. So much of knitting seems to be geared toward certain standard sizes. Some Asian countries do things in their own ways and that can make a "good deal" not so good. We've done that with some musical instruments--and found that if they break they can't even be worked on here in the States, because they don't use standard tooling, so everything becomes a hand-done (i.e., VERY expensive job).

With knitting needles, you can, of course, compensate for an odd size in your gauge, but while it might be that they're fine, given some of what is written on the website, I'd want to see someone else's before I ordered!

[Edited to add...I didn't read the Ravelry experiences before posting--glad to know others are having good experiences!!!]

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #33
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

In case you're still reading this thread, Ally, I'm bumping it to tell you that I ordered the 12" straights set from eknittingneedles.com tonight. I'll let you know what I think of them once I get them and have a chance to use them. I was debating buying their circulars too but decided against it after reading this thread (I plan to buy the Knit Picks options set once I'm a more experienced knitter and can afford them so no need to buy the circular bamboo ones). But I see no real harm in trying their straights or double-pointed needles, especially since on their Amazon page, they're only $20 a set plus free shipping (for some reason they're listed as more on the eknitting site so I hope they honor Amazon's lower price). Yes, they're probably not as good as the Clovers and yes, I'll get sizes I don't need (does anyone ever use size 0 needles???) but I still think at that price, it won't hurt to give them a try.

I did plenty of research and explored many, many needles before I decided to buy these and I think it's a good, inexpensive option for beginner's learning needles. I guess I'm not much of a needle snob, at least not yet. Anyway, just my .02, for what it's worth.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #34
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

cresmoon, I bought the double point set from eknitting needles and I love them. I've not had any problems and was so happy, I took a chance and bought the circular set. I have an interchangable set, but wanted a back up. When they come in I'll let you know how they do.
Terina
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #35
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Glad you like your needles, Terina.

I don't want to buy the interchangeables yet not really because I'm worried about needle quality, but more because the thought of switching from straights to circulars freaks me out a little so I'm going to try to "wean" off the straights gradually...yes it sounds bizarre but I'm just so used to the straights and the thought of using needles that are connected makes me head spin. It's too overwhelming right now. Baby steps.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #36
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Heh, so many of us use circs for everything that it's too awkward to think about going back to straights. I tried it again recently to test a pattern and those were the only ones handy; I see why new knitters might have trouble learning because of having to manuever those long sticks on top of how to poke them into the loops.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #37
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I have numerous types of needles, and here is my own personal assessment:

1) Purchase an interchangeable set if budget allows...you will save TONS of money in the long haul!
2) KnitPicks brand interchangeables are the best for the money!
3) I'd recommend KnitPicks Harmony (wood) interchangeables (if you can only buy one or the other).

Now on to other brands, and this is only my own opinion, and many other knitters have their own experience with different brands, which I am not trying to invalidate. This is only my opinion:

THE INTERCHANGEABLES:
KNITPICKS OPTIONS: excellent needles, affordably priced
KNITPICKS HARMONYS: excellent needles, affordably priced
DENISE Interchangeables: a waste of money
BOYE Needlemaster: good price for good needles
ADDI CLICKS: too expensive, but excellent needles
(I don't own CLICKS, and never will)

"SET/FIXED CIRCS":
KNITPICKS set/fixed circs: excellent needles, affordably priced.
An extra special thumbs-up for their 16" fixed circs. I couldn't live without them cuz the needle tips are real stubby, and actually work for 'in the round' knitting!
ADDI Turbo: excellent needles, a little spendy
CRYSTAL PALACE circs: good needles, moderately priced
LANTERN MOON circs: good needles but pricey
GRAFTON FIBERS: good needles, but pricey
BOYE: good needles, modestly priced
SUSAN BATES: good needles, modestly priced
CLOVER bamboo: just ok needles, modestly priced
HIYA HIYA Steel: good needles, modestly priced (come in 9" lengths!)

Note: CRYSTAL PALACE and LANTERN MOON circs 'swivel' and I love that feature! HIYA HIYA 9" length circs are wonderful! Itty bitty's!

Note: BOYE and SUSAN BATES can be 'catchy' on the yarn. Best to open the package before purchase and feel if there is a smooth or rough 'join' where cable and needle meet. Keep testing them til you find a pair that are smooth. Some folks have successfully use fine sand paper to smooth out the 'snag'. Myself included. Live and learn. Ebay is a great place to purchase vintage BOYE and SUSAN BATES for dirt cheap. Soaking them in hot water before knitting will soften the cables, BTW. My favorite size 6 circ is a Susan Bates (silvery lt green) Silvalume, believe it or not! I love the way it knits.

The needles I've mentioned in this post are needles I own (except the Addi CLICKS), and have worked with. The only needles I never use anymore are the DENISE and the CLOVER bamboos. I keep them around for teaching my grandchildren. The DENISE cables are annoyingly FAT and stall the knitting process for me. However, they are easy to assemble, and come in a very nice case. Many folks swear by them.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 04-06-2009 at 02:36 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #38
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I have numerous types of needles, and here is my own personal assessment:

1) get an interchangeable 'set' if your budget allows...you will save money in the long haul
2) KnitPicks interchangeables are the best for the money
3) I'd suggest the KnitPicks Harmony (wood) interchangeables (if you can only buy one or the other)

Now on to other brands, and this is only my own opinion, and many other knitters have their own experience with different brands, which I am not trying to invalidate. This is only my opinion:

THE INTERCHANGEABLES:
KNITPICKS OPTIONS: excellent needles, affordably priced
KNITPICKS HARMONYS: excellent needles, affordably priced
DENISE Interchangeables: a waste of money
ADDI CLICKS: too expensive, but excellent needles
BOYE Needlemaster: good price for good needles

"SET CIRCS":
KNITPICKS 'set' circs: excellent needles, affordably priced and an extra special thumbs-up for their 16" set circs. I couldn't live without them cuz the needle tips are real stubby, and actually work for 'in the round' knitting!
ADDI Turbo: excellent needles, a little spendy
CRYSTAL PALACE circs: good needles, moderately priced
LANTERN MOON circs: good needles but pricey
GRAFTON FIBERS: good needles, but pricey
BOYE: good needles, modestly priced
SUSAN BATES: good needles, modestly priced
CLOVER bamboo: just ok needles, modestly priced

Note: BOYE and SUSAN BATES can be 'catchy' on the yarn. Best to open the package before purchase and feel the smooth or rough 'join' where cable and needle meet

The needles I've mentioned are needles I own, and have worked with. The only needles I never use anymore are the DENISE and the CLOVER bamboos. I keep the CLOVER bamboos for teaching my grandchildren. I keep the DENISE around just cuz. I never use them. The cables are annoyingly FAT and stall the knitting process. They are easy to assemble, and come in a very nice case. Many folks swear by them.
Wow..my thoughts exactly...I was gonna post on "different" needles....I have just recently puchased US4 "16" Harmony Wood and I love it!! I must admit, I have learned on various needles from very inexpensive to expensive..so, again..you really need to "test" your tools and work with what you can afford..

Last edited by cheley : 04-05-2009 at 08:27 PM.
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #39
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Just to add comments to ArtLady's comments....

KA needles also swivel and they're pretty affordable in LYSs.
The Clovers are nice, though there's a 'bump' between the end of the needle and the cord, so sometimes I have to help the sts up over it.

I have Boye and Susan Bates and haven't found any rough joins. Boyes are nice and pointy, good for lace work; the cord can be stiff, but still straightens out compared to the SB. I tried several times to uncurl a size 10 SB (the standard Silvalume, they make several types) and they still coiled up. I finally held the cords in boiling water for a couple minutes and they're reasonably straight now. Though I also have another SB Silvalume I bought about a year before these (10s) and they're terrific; they're very straight and it was just from the weight of the knitting on them. I also haven't had as much problem with the larger size SBs, 13s and 15s in the gray plastic; the tips are somewhat blunt which is fine for bulky yarn, the cords kink a little, but not bad.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #40
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for your very concisely written thoughts, Artlady. Question for you: you mentioned the Addi Clicks in your 'interchangeable' section and said they're excellent. Is this the interchangeable set that'll be out soon costing $150? Have you already tried this set? I thought it hadn't gone on sale yet.

I was seriously considering biting the bullet (er, needle? ) and buying the KP set but finances and knitting progress hold me back for now, plus the trepidation at switching to circs. I am definitely going to consider them in the future though. For now, I'm just looking forward to trying a needle made out of a new material (wood) after trying both aluminum and acrylic straights.