Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #41
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can buy a set of cords and a couple tips in the sizes you use most. Then when you can afford the set, you'll have duplicates of the sizes you need.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #42
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,890 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by cresmoon View Post
Thanks for your very concisely written thoughts, Artlady. Question for you: you mentioned the Addi Clicks in your 'interchangeable' section and said they're excellent. Is this the interchangeable set that'll be out soon costing $150? Have you already tried this set? I thought it hadn't gone on sale yet.

I was seriously considering biting the bullet (er, needle? ) and buying the KP set but finances and knitting progress hold me back for now, plus the trepidation at switching to circs. I am definitely going to consider them in the future though. For now, I'm just looking forward to trying a needle made out of a new material (wood) after trying both aluminum and acrylic straights.
OY! I made a bit of a boo-boo. I don't OWN the Addi Clicks. But, I own Addi Turbos. Sorry for error. I wanted to add the CLICKS to the list, since they've thrown their hat into the interchangeable ring! I've followed the Addi group over at Rav, and have done some other reading on other forums. I can say with honesty THEY ARE EXCELLENT product. Everything Addi is excellent. But, IMO, they're too expensive, and additionally, they're missing some of our sizes cuz they are metric sizes (mm). So, there is not a metric equivalent in the Click set for our US sizes 5 or 10.5. So far, you can't purchase extra 'parts' either, such as cords. I've read that you can pick up a set in Europe for about $87. The difference in price is Skacel's distribution markup. I used to think Skacel and Addi were the same thing, but they're not. Addi is the manufacturer, Skacel is a US distributor. However, Skacel offers the lifetime guarantee (therefore justifying the markeup) and if you buy the Euro set (diff colors of cords) you will not have that lifetime guarantee cuz Addi doesn't include the guarantee. If you buy from Skacel (your LYS) SAVE YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE. This will save you a few gray hairs. You can't purchase directly from Skacel, but through their agents, your LYS. Another reason for the $150 price tag.

I haven't read one bad thing about the performance of the Addi Clicks. Some gals just have a hard time 'clicking' the needle into place. But that's just a technique thing. I've seen them at my LYS, and they click into place real easy. Kinda spring loaded...push in, turn, release and CLICK! They're set.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #43
Angieknits
Ribbing the Cuff

Well I got my Hiya Hiya Bamboo circs in the mail the other day. The ebay vendor I bought them from (Ms. Babs) included a stitch marker, and a sample of some of her sock yarn in a gorgeous merlot color, and a new sock pattern. I haven't gotten around to using them yet, as my current sock project is still on going. (I hope to finish the second one soon if my allergies will let up, no one wants a sneeze covered sock ) The needles themselves are extra smooth. Smoother than I expected. The metal join for the cable doesn't seem to be of concern either. The cable doesn't seem to be as flexible as I'd like, but it's short and made to go into a small circle not to use for magic loop.. LOL so I'm thinking it might just be because of the shortness of the cable. I've only owned one other set of circs, and they're horrid. Boye size 10 aluminum 16" circs that kink and double back on themselves regularly.
Angieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #44
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Angieknits View Post
Well I got my Hiya Hiya Bamboo circs in the mail the other day.... The cable doesn't seem to be as flexible as I'd like....
Try dipping/holding just the cable into a bowl of boiling water for a minute before use. If you had the steel HIYA HIYA's you could set the whole thing in the bowl, but for bamboo, you have to hold the cable in while protecting the bamboo. Been there, done that!

Thanks for the appraisal of the bamboo HIYA HIYA's! I only have the steel ones cuz that's what my LYS had!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Angieknits (04-07-2009)
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #45
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Ally,

I was snooping around on Ebay, and I found a vintage Boye NEEDLEMASTER set, with a beginning bid of $12.95. The auction ends in 1 day and 7 hrs from right now. (April 8)

VINTAGE BOYE NEEDLEMASTER SET.

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #46
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cresmoon View Post
Glad you like your needles, Terina.

I don't want to buy the interchangeables yet not really because I'm worried about needle quality, but more because the thought of switching from straights to circulars freaks me out a little so I'm going to try to "wean" off the straights gradually...yes it sounds bizarre but I'm just so used to the straights and the thought of using needles that are connected makes me head spin. It's too overwhelming right now. Baby steps.
I am short and I find that circular needles work better for me..sounds funny huh. When sitting in an arm chair, my straight needles would hit the arms or get caught, or hit me in the arm. Now with circulars, I don't have that problem and it's easier on my arms, the weight of bigger pieces are spread out over two needles and a cable. I wish you all the best with your switchover.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #47
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm very short and don't find my straights awkward at all, but then my acrylic ones are pretty short straights - about 10 or 11" or so. I did have a pair of very long straights I bought when I first started to learn; I didn't know any better then and those got in the way so I never use those. I'd happily keep using straights in fact but for the problem that they're too short to do the bigger projects that I want to do.

I guess I've learned two main things about needles:

1. Like pizza, movies, and just about everything else in life, taste is subjective and one type of needles that are someone's trash may be another knitter's treasure.

2. Like a blog I read somewhere said, needles are like politics and religion - knitters defend their choices to the death!
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #48
allynealy
Casting On

I decided to get the Denise set and I really love them. The cord is a little fat and I can see that that can get annoying, but I think they are an excellent product. I read Amy's post about the pros/cons of NP, denise, boyes interchangeable sets and decided that each set is going to have pros and cons and to get the set that has the most pros and cons I can live with. Denise was the winner. I really like the neat and tidy case. I am currently using them to do magic loop and enjoying it.
I also got a set of the eknitting DPNs and haven't used them yet. They don't look cheap, but I haven't used them.
I am thinking that one day when I have more money or my husband wants to get me a present, I will get harmony fixed circulars in the sizes my denise set doesn't have and I will be set on needles.
Now moving on to yarn . . .
A new obsession!
allynealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #49
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I love vintage needles. I won these 11 pairs of vintage needles for $29
plus $5 shipping on Ebay today. That's $3 per pair.
I'm excited to get them. Here's what the seller said about them:

11 pair aluminum circular knitting needles.
New in package. Strong nylon cables.
Sizes: 2-5's,1-6,1-8,2-9's,2-10's,1-101/2,2-13's

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #50
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

PS: there was another 'lot' of 11 vintage circ needles that climbed to $86!

They were Aero , Milward and Others. (England)

Artlady at Rav