Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Karina
Working the Gusset

The great American afghan
Could somebody tell me what the difference is between The Great American Afghan, The Great North American Afghan and The Great American Aran Afghan.

Amazon sell them all and not sure if they all feature the same blocks or if it is worth getting all three. Thanks
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

All three are entirely different. Each one started as a contest (held at different times) in Knitter's magazine where knitters from across the country designed and submitted their square. The best of the best won prizes and the top 24 squares from each contest were published in the magazine. Eventually the patterns were published in the 3 different books.

I'll just say that the Great American Aran Afghan remains as one of my all time favorite knitting projects.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
Karina (03-18-2008)
Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I really want that Great American Aran Afghan pattern. Is it available on Amazon???

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Karina
Working the Gusset

Well I am looking at Amazon.co.uk and they have it.
Thanks Silver I might just buy a couple of them.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
lattelovinm
Casting On

The Great American.....Afghan
They're all different with different squares. I bought my book on stitchesmarket.com, i guess because it was less expensive than other sites - it's been a couple of months.

I'm on my second square of The Great American Afghan (the one that has dark greens, tans, browns, reds). The book is really nice and was well worth the $12.95. I happened to like the colors, so I went with this one, but in the book, it also offers other suggestions for color families you can use instead of what the original pattern calls for. I also really liked the squares of The Great American Aran Afghan, but I didn't want to do it all white; what i realized later was that I could still have done it, but used a different color for each square, but that would have taken too much thinking and obsessing on my part; the Great American... is probably better for me in that respect.
lattelovinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
margz3
Working the Gusset

I got the Great American Aran Afghan book for Christmas (purchased at my LYS) I have yet to make a square, but hope to start on it soon (after I finish a couple of owed birthday gifts and hopefully my first pair of socks). I am thinking it will be a nice "summer" project to poke away at and hopefully have ready for the cool weather come fall. I do still need to decide on what yarn/color I want to make it....and buy all the yarn

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Koehnae
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Koehnae Send a message via Yahoo to Koehnae
Originally Posted by margz3 View Post
I got the Great American Aran Afghan book for Christmas (purchased at my LYS) I have yet to make a square, but hope to start on it soon (after I finish a couple of owed birthday gifts and hopefully my first pair of socks). I am thinking it will be a nice "summer" project to poke away at and hopefully have ready for the cool weather come fall. I do still need to decide on what yarn/color I want to make it....and buy all the yarn
This is me, too. I intended to start it this winter, but was too busy with Yule gifts. Now I'm too busy with gifts for my wedding party. I am glad my mom resisted the urge to buy me all the "Great American" patterns. I feel guilty enough it's taking me this long to find the time to pick a yarn and get started!

Koehnae is offline   Reply With Quote