Old 03-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
PS: I migrated over to your Rav notebook and I saw a photo of the model sweater. It bunches up ever so slightly on her too.

I think that's your finger, yes?

I was looking for your Malabrigo yarn, the new blue stuff!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Slim
Working the Gusset

I'm really not that experienced a sweater knitter, but I'm just wondering . . . what about frogging back to 2 or 3 inches above the ribbing and working some decreases or switching to smaller needles to give a more form hugging fit there? Then increase or go back to bigger needles for the ribbing? Just a thought . . .
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Artlady - that's not my finger! Whoever put in the photo to the Rav database must have got their finger in the photo. I never noticed that before.

If I were to extend the stockinette portion like a "normal" sweater, I guess that would probably use less yarn, since my purls aren't as tight as my knits. So I would probably have enough yarn to do so. But the sleeves are knit with that elongated ribbing style too, so it would probably look weird to have really deep ribbing on the sleeves but not the body. Meaning I may have to frog those and reknit, too.

I'm honestly not worried about the time investment, it will be worth it. The main reason I'm stalling on the frogging is that I'm worried the yarn won't take the abuse. It's really hard to frog 2 yarns held together, especially since one of them is really grabby wool. I didn't try to separate them, I just frogged as a unit, but it was still hard on the yarn.

This may be my fault since as you can see in the photo, the model's sweater isn't as fitted as mine. I was so worried about it being too loose that I may have made it bulge out because I knit it too tight.

Well, I am having the crappiest week ever, so why not pile it on! I'm going to bring the sweater with me tonight and try to frog back. Do you guys think the looser ribbing will be okay, or go for full on stockinette? I don't think I can put increases in the ribbing - I don't know how to do that without it messing up the ribbing (it's 2X2). Although, Artlady and I know how to do it in seed stitch now!!! LOL. (Sylvi KAL).
Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Maureen,

I don't think you need to re-do the sleeves. As a matter of fact, I think the sleeves can be different than the body. Why not?

Why not pull out all the ribbing in the body, and re-knit from there down in a simple st st, and finish it off with 3" ribbing to match the sleeve's style of ribbing (didn't you say it was 2x2 ribbing?)?

Honestly, the star attraction is 1) the yarn 2) the sleeves.
The body can be st st with 3" or 4" ribbing. But, st st will fit looser than the original body ribbing did. Oy.

BUT, I don't think your sweater AS IS looks bad. Honestly, I think you look great AS IS.

What Tahki yarn is it and what colorway is it? I sure do love it.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-24-2009 at 08:51 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-25-2009)
Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I think it *is* too tight, at least in my view... the design seems like it would have to skim the body (if even that) to stay down. I'd personally try to use a weighty yarn to help it do that. I like the ribbing, as it's both flattering and...it's def an integral part of the design to me.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-25-2009)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
TEMA
Turning the Heel

The sweater I just finished was frogged 3X's - the neckline - 4 times so I could reknit. The yarn came thru fine but I did take good care not to overly stress it while I frogged.
On the other hand... I don't see the problem.
The sweater looks great..!
On the other hand - you don't like it - best to frog and do over what you don't like... it's only knitting after all...
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TEMA For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-25-2009)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
How about knit the stockinette a couple inches longer, increasing the stitches, then doing the ribbing, which won't be quite as long, but still longer than conventional ribbing, and with more stitches, it won't be as snug over the hips which is why it blouses up above that.

Or you could knit the lower part of the stockinette on larger needles and also go up a size on the ribbing than you used originally.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-25-2009)
Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
laikabear
Turning the Heel

I can't find the end of the yarn! I guess I wove the ends in well. I may have to snip it. :(
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #19
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've had that happen. Follow the sts along the bound off edge, you should find the last one then see if you can follow the tail you wove in.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #20
laikabear
Turning the Heel

I still couldn't find that darn end, so I just cut the yarn on the outside. I had to do that once before when I frogged the button bands (it started out as a cardi). What I found both times was that when I cut the outside and pulled, I was unraveling the 2nd row. DOH. I had to pull it through like a snake, then detach the (still intact) castoff, and THEN I could really start frogging. What a PITA! But the frogging went okay, and now I have a GIANT ball of yarn. I went back to just above the ribbing. The pattern is knitted straight down, but I smartly thought I would put in 2 decrease rows to make it fit better around the waist.

Well didn't that have the opposite effect! That will teach me to modify a pattern. So I removed the decreases and will do a little extra stockinette before going back to the ribbing (on the same size needles this time). I emailed my LYS owner to see if I can get some more of the yarn. She must think I am nuts as this sweater should have been finished long ago and I've used about an acre of yarn so far. I had 8.5" of both ribbing and 8.5" of stockinette. Maybe I'll do more like 12 of stockinette and only 5 or 6 of ribbing.