Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #31
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Update: Results!
Unfortunately, it's a double argh. Or maybe a triple since I've knit this sweater 3 times. I removed the decreases that were below the bust, and knit straight down to the ribbing. I began the ribbing a little later (since I don't have any more yarn), and I used size 11 for the stockinette and 10.5 for the ribbing (before was size 11 and size 10). Now the sweater has more positive ease in the waist region, maybe 4" instead of 0-1". But it STILL BULGES!

Should I rip up to just below the bust, put in 1" worth of decreases, knit in stockinette to the bottom of the waist, put in 2" of increases, and then only do 2" in ribbing, in size 11 needles?

If that works to make the body portion non-frumpy, then I have to decide if it looks silly with the ribbed arms.

Who votes for stuffing it in a drawer? Or putting in the washer on HOT?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue v neck #3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	52276  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #32
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Maureen, seriously, I think the sweater looks great. I WOULD NOT frog it again, and I would WEAR IT with pride.

I hope you will reconsider how you 'see' this sweater, on how it should look, on a real person.

Remember, the models are always TWIGGIES, with hardly any shape. And, maybe... the 'model sweater' is Size M being worn by a Size 2 model.

Your yarn will thank you! It has to be getting tired about now.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-30-2009)
Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #33
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I agree with Artlady. The sweater is beautiful just the way it is. It looks just like what that type of pattern is supposed to look like. I suspect the model doesn't have much hips, but if you really look at her you can see the same slight bulgy area above the ribbing. A lot of the people on the Rav site look the same. The only ones that I can see that have it perfectly smooth have knit the sweater tightly and pulled it down. I love it the way it is!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-31-2009)
Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 AM   #34
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I agree that it's beautiful as well! It doesn't look overly bulgy to me.

But here's the thing: I am personally extremely fussy about fit. I always have an almost exact idea of how the thing I'm making should fit me. So I totally also understand if you have an idea in your head of what this sweater should look like, and are unhappy with it not looking this way. I will frog and re-work jillions of times, sometimes way past what others think is reasonable, to get the fit I had envisioned for the perfect garment, so I completely understand if you want that as well!

If you want it to fit with absolutely NO bulges, then I'd suggest starting the ribbing directly under the bust and make the ribbing section longer. That way it looks like the bulge is your bust, which is where women bulge naturally anyway.

But I also think it's a gorgeous sweater exactly the way it is, so it's up to you and your ideas of what you want this garment to look like on you!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-31-2009)
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #35
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

You're gorgeous and so is the sweater. But it is bumpy and would bug me too- you know you aren't happy with it, and you aren't going to want to wear it. You should feel awesome & pretty in what you've taken the time to knit for yourself.

I vote for globaltraveler's solution of trying the ribbing right under the bust. OR trying the stockinette with a couple inches of ribbing on the bottom. (I think the sleeves being mostly ribbed would be OK)

I can imagine how frustrated you are!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #36
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I think it looks really great on you!!! How about wearing a nice belt on the area that bugs you, that will give a more fitted look. But i don't think you should frog it, no way!
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #37
laikabear
Turning the Heel

It's funny how many of the magazines have belts over their sweaters. I'm beginning to understand why!

I put it aside for now. There isn't much time left in the season where I can wear something so heavy. I'll think about it later. The problem with trying to move the ribbing up is that I don't have any more yarn, and that would take more. I don't think I can get any. My LYS was looking into it, but it seemed like the answer was no.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #38
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Have you tried not doubling the yarn on the ribbing to see how that looks?

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #39
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
She doesn't have enough yarn for that. And, the LYS prolly can't get her more. And, she's already $150 into this sweater.
Oy.

But, that was a good thought, Global! I'll put that in my 'tinker' bank! I'm always up for new tricks when I'm tinkering around for solutions and modifications!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #40
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Hmmm, I dunno, she might have enough if she's using the yarn at a single strand instead of doubled. More ribbing, yes, but also more yarn, a smaller needle, but my bet is not as small as half...it'd make the ribbing less bulky, among other things, and less tight, and perhaps the bulge problem might be lessened...it might be worth the bother of trying a swatch...

(I'm the queen of mods these days. Have you seen my project notes from my Wrenna on Rav? Sheeeeeesh.... lol )