Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Baraka
Casting On

Modifying Construction Steps - Tilted Duster?
I've got all the pieces (except the skirt) ready to assemble for the Tilted Duster (IK Fall 2007). I like my set-in sleeves much better if I do them before I do the side seams. However, the pattern says to do the side seams and knit the skirt before I set in the sleeves.

I'm guessing the reason to construct it in this order is so one is not hauling around the weight of the sleeves as well as the fronts/back while knitting the skirt. I can't think of any construction-related reason not to just go ahead and sew in the sleeves before the skirt, as I can always fold them into a compact form before I start the skirt, to keep them from flopping about.

I'm also thinking to use a line of single crochet along the shoulder seam for extra reinforcement, since this is a pretty good-sized garment and the weight might put some extra strain on that shoulder seam.

Anyone out there with some input on these ideas? I'd love to hear from you, as this is the first major project I've done for myself and would really like to see it turn out well!

(I'm making it in KnitPicks' Swish Superwash worsted, and found the perfect buttons by chance at Woole Meise in Stuttgart last week - sweet!)
Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'm sure you're right about why the sleeves are put in later on.

I'm not sure about reinforcing the shoulder seams, though. I always do 3-needle bind-off on the shoulders which creates a pretty strong seam.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Baraka
Casting On

Thanks, Ingrid. I think I'll go ahead and do the sleeves as I prefer, then! Since I've already bound off the shoulders, a 3-needle bind off might not be what I want, but since this is a size large, and will use almost 1400 yards according to the pattern, I thought a little reinforcement would be in order!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Baraka
Casting On

I just realized that the back of my duster doesn't look at all like the pattern's. I think I may have mis-read or mis-interpreted the "at the same time" instruction for the bind off. I bound off r/s stitches on the right side, and w/s (purl) stitches on the corresponding w/s row, but it came out all wonky and uneven.

Any suggestions or experience in doing this step would be greatly appreciated - I'm going to frog it back to before the bindoff now (to the point where it measures the correct length before bindoff.

thanks