Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,773 Times in 7,140 Posts
My first real project when I'd been knitting for 3 mos was a sweater. It's too big, but it looks nice!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Suzeeq and Globalknitter...I was the same way. My very first project was a sweater and then 4-5 more sweaters after that. I never knitted a dishcloth until a couple of years ago and I've been knitting for 30 years. I started out with nice yarn and good needles (which I still have to this day) and just kept at it through the years. I may go for quite some time when I don't knit at all, then I'll get the itch and knit, knit, knit nonstop. But, it's something that you never forget and something you can enjoy for many, many years.
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Sorry, Zina...called you Globalknitter....
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I'm like Suzeeq in that I took up knitting over 30 years ago and my first project was a sweater. I still wear it to go x-country skiing.
I made my first wash cloth last summer, same with a scarf. Still haven't made a hat, but boy I love making socks.
Knit what you like and will use.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
I started knitting about 6 years ago, and wanted to make EVERYTHING. I started with a simple red scarf, then made some headbands, then some furry scarves.

Every thing I knit was a learning experience.

By making the scarf, I got comfortable with the knit stitch.

When making headbands, I learned that my cast-on and bind-off were both too tight.

After making a few furry scarves, I was asked to make some for sale to people I met. I quickly learned that I HATED knitting for money. It wasn't fun when I was doing it "on command".

Then, I made some baby gifts (a hat, booties, and small washcloth), and LOVED IT!! Baby items are quick to make, and so CUTE!

Next, I decided to try making a steering wheel cover for my car. I didn't have a pattern....I just measured the wheel, and made a cover for it. It turned out great!

Then, I made hats for my sons, changing colors occasionally. This taught me how to knit in the round, and when I should change colors.

After that, I made a baby afghan, with the feather and fan lace design. So pretty!

I had become a knitting addict!

For Christmas that year, I made TONS of hand-knitted items for family and friends. Unfortunately, they didn't appreciate my gifts as much as I thought they would.

So, now I usually knit for charity or for my self. I only knit for others if they ASK for it specifically. And then, I make sure they know how much time and work it takes. (And I ask them to go with me to pick out the yarn, so they can pay for it themselves.)

So, my advice is to JUST KNIT! Try different things, different yarns, different needles, different patterns. Just keep knitting until you find what you enjoy doing.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-06-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
bebedechocolate
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you all! I think I will start with a washcloth or something small just to get the hang of it. I will definitely tackle socks before mittens. I hate mitten and hats so I will just learn the stiches and then tackle my dream project: socks! i love this website. its amazing.
bebedechocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
TEMA
Turning the Heel

When I first learned to knit about 30 years ago, I learned by making socks... not that I would reccomend it.. LOL!
My teacher was a lady that lived down the block and socks were easy for her since she'd been doing them since she was about 5 years old. Felt really cool knitting with 4 needles... LOL!
Now I'm learning to knit again and this time I started on simple neck cowls -
Stocking stitch - knit one row, purl one row with big needles and fat yarn.
You don't have the length of time invested into it and you don't have to do button holes for your buttons to close the thing up. You just use the holes made by the yarn as you knit.
Keep knitting and purling until the thing is long enough to go around your neck - just. Add some buttons and there you are... a special cowl on your neck that looks quite professional but was as easy as pie and you didn't have time to get bored with it.
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Man, I love that knitted wheel cover...!
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #19
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by TEMA View Post
Man, I love that knitted wheel cover...!
TEMA
Thanks TEMA!
Here's the pattern for the Fuzzy, Furry Steering Wheel:
http://spinningsandy.blogspot.com/20...eel-cover.html
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
KateSteward
Casting On

I love the steering wheel cover too! I never like the ones in the store and it never occured to me that I could knit one!

If I ever finish this beast of a baby blanket I'm working on, that'll be my next project. Just for me!!!

Thanks for the link!
Shandeh (04-09-2009)