Old 03-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

bernat baby jacquards dress-help picking up stitches
Hi. I know a few of you have knit the bernat baby jacquards overall dress. I'm to the part where you pick up the stitches and I just can't get it to work. I know how to pick up and knit, but going all the way across the pieces and around the curves is just not happening for me. I have ripped it out a couple times now and the top is starting to look a bit sloppy.

The specific problems I'm having are, going around the curves, starting to pick up from the left hand side of the piece (this put's me knitting backwards) and everything being so tight and not moving along on the needle. I don't feel like I picked them up that way, I feel like it has to do with the curves.

If you've knit this can you please tell me how you got this part done? I would love any advice. Please save me before I chuck the whole thing out!

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Anyone? Thanks!

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
mimi
Knitting the Flap

I finished knitting that same overall dress a few months ago, and from what I remember, I did not use the actual number of stitches that the pattern said to pick up. I tried to approximate the stitches, but wound up with a good deal less. Ritaw posted my photo so you can see that the dress came out after all. Hold the dress loosely, and pick up one stitch at a time, put each stitch on the needle loosely, and so on. It is tedious because you're right, you have to go up and around so many curves, but if I can do it, anybody can. If you are still having trouble, let us know and I will go ask Ritaw now.

OTN: Cashmere and silk cowl, Baby Heart Blanket.

In my mind: Natural Malabrigo for a jacket,

Queued: Booties and Cap, still trying to find a pattern for my malabrigo jacket.

I am Mimi on ravelry too.
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:
Lieuvena (03-30-2009), ritaw (03-31-2009)
Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
ritaw
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,296 Posts
Hi
I have done 3 of these now and each time i hate doing this part . But it has to be done . So carry on and do not frog the dress. It will look great . I promise.
Pick up the stitches and take your time . At the corners they will be a bit harder to do but it can be done . You may also find that you cannot get the right amount of stitches on but do not worry if they are a few short .
When you have picked up all your stitches and you begin to knit the last few rows , you will find that once again that it will be tight going round the curves . Just keep pushing your stitches along .
Good luck and let us know how you get on .
Lieuvena (03-31-2009)