Old 03-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

About using wooly nylon on sock heels
I'm using the wooly nylon on the heels of the socks I'm making, but hard as I try, I keep missing picking up the nylon on the occasional stitch, and a small loop appears in the work from the loose nylon. Does this make sense?

Anyway--I've torn out and started over but still I missed picking up the nylon in a couple places. Will these missed loops eventually work in?
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I don't know if they will ever disappear. They will still be there, but they may become less obvious, which is what you are hoping. If you notice a missed loop before you get too far, why don't you try going back and picking it up. I am making a sweater that I knit completely with 2 strands of yarn. I did this a time or two and I just knit till I am over the place, undo that one stitch down to the mistake (including the stitch where only 1 strand was worked), then work it back up correctly with a crochet hook. You can do that about any distance back if there wasn't some change thrown in at that spot, like some shaping (still possible but harder). It's a lot easier than starting over.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you, Merigold. I have never liked picking up a stitch the way you describe because I'm never sure which side to work from and I'm not very good at it---but this would be a good opportunity for me to learn it. It isn't so easy on skinny sock yarn on #1 needles, but I'll get out a small crochet hook and go from there. Thanks, again.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
It's easier to work a stitch back up with a crochet hook from the knit side. If it is garter stitch you can turn back and forth so that you are always working each row up on the knit side. If it happened to be reverse stockinette turn it over and work it all from the knit side.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, sounds good. I'll give it a try.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I think getting good at this is really important- it lets you fix mistakes without frogging whole rows of perfect stitches. Crochet hooks might be easier- but I like picking them up with a DPN in stockinette because I can slide the needle end over end without ever pulling it out. (I would love to have a crochet hook with a hook on each end for the same thing. I have seen them sold somewhere!) It is more of a challenge for socks- but I have yet to make one without dropping a stitch or only catching 1/2 of the loop or something & having to ladder one up this way.

Have fun and good luck!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote