Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
judegirl
Casting On

Knitting a Hat on Double Pointed Needles
Hi! I'm new here and am in need of help. My husband has put in his first knitting request as a hat, so I'm trying to learn how to knit on double-pointed needles. This is my first experience with circular knitting, and up until now my only experience has been with various stitches on scarves.

I have cast on 72 stitches and divided them up, 24 each on three DPN. I made sure (or at least I thought I did) that the cast-ons weren't twisted, and then I used a fourth needle to start K1,P1 off of the left hand needle. I have rib stitched now through three "rows", and what I'm looking at still does not look like a round. I've basically got a rectangular looking piece divided between three needles with an opening at the top. My working yarn is hanging off of the end of my right needle, and I am about to begin working stitches off of the left one, starting my fourth row.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. Everything looks great except that after three rows it still doesn't look like I'm making something resembling a tube. Could my problem lie in starting with a twist before I started knitting the first row? Can any of you offer any help? I'm stumped and have nobody around who might know the answer.

I appreciate any help anyone is able to give!

Thanks!
judegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
It sounds like you may not have joined to work in the round at the very beginning. Have you looked at the free video on this site about how to work in the round? You can find it with the bar above, highlight "View Videos" and you will get a drop down menu. Choose "Advanced Techniques" on the far right. By the way don't let that intimidate you it is not hard, my husband did hats in the round for his first projects. I like using a 16 inch circular best for the hat and then switch to dpns at the top when it gets to small for the circular. But....you can do the whole hat on the dpns.

Right after you cast on and have divided the stitches onto the three needles you will begin to knit right after the last stitch you cast on and you will be knitting into the very first stitch you cast on so that you are going around. I think you turned and worked back the other way so you are really working flat even though you are doing it with the 4 needles.

You can join at the point you are at I think and seam the part that is not joined if you don't want to have to start over. You asked about the twist issue. That is not the problem, you would have a tube if you twisted the stitches but the tube would be twisted.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

plus it could also be that 3 rows just isnt enough for it to start looking 'right' if you know what I mean. What is that, maybe barely 1/2 an inch? Give it a couple more 'rounds', get at least an inch or more before you decide it isnt right.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Agree, especially with ribbing, it takes several rows for the sts to look like they should. If you haven't joined, that is if you can spread your needles out in a line like one long needle, don't rip it out. You can just join at the end of the row you're on now; when you're at the end, just pick up the needle on the other end and knit the end stitch of that.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Anarfea
1st Leg of the Journey

If your working yarn is always on the left, and you're not flipping the work over, probably its okay. It might also not be looking very "tube" like because your DPNs are in a triangle. I find working with 4 DPNs more challenging than working with 5. For me at least spreading the stitches out on 4 DPNs so I'm working around a square instead of a triangle just makes the whole thing easier since it's more like knitting in a circle. Also for me at least it's easier to avoid ladders at the corners that way.

Find me on Ravelry as TheNatKnits
Anarfea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you knit in the round or are in the middle of a row, the working yarn should be on the right needle for most knitters.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote