Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
toomuch
Ribbing the Cuff

drop spindle questions
I'm only two days into learning how to use this drop spindle. Between youtube and the book that came with it, I think I'm getting the idea, but I'm not doing nearly as good as I had hoped.

My big question is: when I unhook the spun fiber to wind it onto the stick, should it curl onto itself at all? I'm still at the stage where I spin, stop and then let it travel up. I can't let it spin while I work the twist up because it comes unhooked alot while it's spinning.

Also, I've divided my roving into what I think are small "strips", but it still looks pretty thick after it's spun. Are there any hints on how to know how much to use.

I'm feeling really frustrated at the moment. Hopefully someone will have some tips for me.

thanks,
Julie
toomuch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I just purchased a Drop Spindle Kit last week. I saw it demonstrated at a Knit In and I thought I could do it. I'm waiting to take classes tho.

I wish I could help you out but I hope someone here will.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Hang in there, it will come!

Yes, when you unhook the fiber to wrap on the spindle shaft, it should relax and twist back on itself. As long as you have tension on it, whether it's by the weight of the spindle or as it is wrapped on the spindle, it will remain straight.

If you're having trouble with yarn breaking when spinning by letting the spindle spin while you are drafting, you probably aren't putting enough twist in the yarn. More twists makes the yarn stronger. Try this... take a length of fiber (roving) about 20" long and about pencil width, or just use the fiber as it's on your drop spindle. Now, twist it by hand or using the spindle one or two times then try to pull it apart... comes apart easily. Now try again adding more twists (10-20)... doesn't come apart quite as easily, right? Now add more and more twists as you like and you will find that you can add so much strength to that length of fiber (which is now "yarn"!) that you can't break it by hand.

The secret to getting the yarn you want from your spinning is to find out how many twists you want in that length of yarn. If you want soft fluffy airy yarn, less twists are needed. If you want tight strong solid yarn, more twists are needed. You have quite a range of options with the same length of yarn with twist alone... you are the creator of the yarn, do what works for you and make the kind of yarn that you prefer!

You already found one neat trick you didn't even know about... When you relax the single spun strand, such as when you unhook to wind on the spindle shaft, it will twist back on itself, and you can use that as a guide to see what your finished plied yarn will look like! Spinning singles one direction and then plying them together in the opposite direction will create a nice balanced 2-ply yarn.

You can get very technical with how many twists per inch you need in the singles and then how many you need in the plied yarn, which is generally about two-thirds in the plied compared to what was in the single... but there are no "rules" to any of it... just spin what feels comfortable to you and what kind of yarn you like.

I hope this helps.

Sandi
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Not much to add to what Sandi said, except wrap your yarn around the hook a couple times or use a half hitch.
I've been spindling 10 years and spinning on a wheel 7. I still use the park and spin with my drop spindle....

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
toomuch
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for your replies and encouragement! I've finished one hank of 20 yards, wound it around the chair back, tied it in places, soaked it and now it's drying. But it is still curling in a lot of places. I was concerned about if it should be twisting back on itself while I was winding, because it's still twisting after I take it off. (I hope this makes sense).

This first hank will be a sampler I guess...soft/fluffy in spots, and tight/strong in other spots!

I will also twist it twice around the hook. And practice, practice, practice.

Julie
Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Just has too much twist, is all. You could ply it, that will take out some of the twist ....

have any pictures???

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
toomuch
Ribbing the Cuff

I tried to spread it out in the picture so you can see how it's curling. I guess I could ply it with what I have on the spindle because they are about the same thickness. Only I haven't twisted the yarn on the spindle as much this time. I'm wondering if I was spinning the spindle too fast.

I can't remember how to attach the picture, so I'm going to post this text and put the picture in the next one after I go read how to do it.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
toomuch
Ribbing the Cuff

keep in mind this is my first attempt ever at spinning
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	firsthank.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	52290  
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Looks perfectly fine to me! If it's a single, it's going to have twist... that's what we do when we spin, add twist to yarn.

Now, if you want a balanced yarn, you'll have to ply it as I described before... but you don't have to. If you want a "straight" yarn with just your single ply, all you have to do is "set the twist." This is fairly easy. You just have to wet it and let it dry under tension. If you used a niddy noddy to make your skein, you can just leave the skein on that and let it dry there... or you can wet your skein, wring out as much of the moisture as you can, then hang it to dry with a weight on it. One method I've used is hang the skein from a plastic hanger over the shower curtain and then take a plastic grocery bag and tie it through the bottom of the skin and then put one or two cans of soup into the bag or rocks or anything to weight it down, adding just enough weight to straighten the skein without stretching it too much. When the skein dries, you will have a "straight" yarn.

Remember, wool has "memory" and it will remain the shape it is after it dries until it gets wet again and then it will go back to its original state. That's why you have to block a wool sweater every time you wash it. So you don't want to weight it down too much so you stretch the fibers a lot, just enough to take the kinks out.

Don't worry about twists in your singles... that's supposed to happen because that's what you did when you spun it. That's all spinning is... putting twist in lengths of fibers... actually a very simple concept, and once you break down what you're doing into remembering that that's all your doing, just twisting fibers, the process seems so much easier!

I had a hard time learning to spin at first because I thought the wheel and the fiber were supposed to "do" something, but once I realized that all I had to do to get yarn was twist the fibers, and use those tools to do it, it was like... Eureka!! And you can even spin without the use of a wheel or spindle, just take a length of fiber and twist it, wa-la... you made yarn with nothing but your hands!

So keep it simple... you control the fiber and you control the spindle... it will come.

Good luck to you... I hope this helps!

Sandi
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

One more thing about setting the twist... You don't have to wet the yarn to do it, that's just the fastest method. The twist will set in a yarn the longer it is left sitting under tension.... such as when you wind it on the spindle. If you spin a spindle-ful of singles and set it aside for a few months, the twist will set. The longer the yarn is under tension, the more the twist is set. If you spin a partial spindle and leave it set for a few weeks or months and then go back and add more to it and then take it off the spindle, you'll see that the portion you spun weeks before will have a lot less twist in it that what you just finished. The same goes for yarn on a bobbin on a wheel. Even just a few days under tension can make a very little difference, but the longer, the more noticeable.

So keep in mind when you are plying a yarn that may have been setting under tension for a while that you'll need to add a little more twist in your plies to achieve a balanced finished yarn because some of the original twist in the single is already set, but once you wash the plied skein, it'll balance out when the wool goes back to it's original state.

I hope this makes sense!

Sandi