Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

Short Row Shoulder Shaping NEWBIE HELP!
I'm working on my first sweater that has shoulder shaping, and by complete accident came across the short row shoulder shaping technique online. As a lover of the 3 needle bind off for shoulder seams, I knew that I must master this technique. I know that you have to start one row later than stated in your pattern, but after that I'm lost. Can someone please write out row by row short row shaping conversion for my pattern?

Here's the *original* pattern shaping (I'm just working stockinette st):

With RS (knit row) facing cast off 5 sts at beg of next 2 rows. [68 sts]

Next row- cast off 6 sts, K until there are 10 sts on right hand needle, turn and work this first side.

Next row- cast off 4 sts, P to end.
Cast off rem 6 sts.
With RS facing, cast off center 36 sts, pattern to end
Complete to match first side reversing shapings.

One more question: after you're done doing the short rows, do you work one more row to pick up the wrapped stitches?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!
ittybittypretty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
With RS (knit row) facing cast off 5 sts at beg of next 2 rows. [68 sts]

Next row- cast off 6 sts, K until there are 10 sts on right hand needle, turn and work this first side.

Next row- cast off 4 sts, P to end.
Cast off rem 6 sts.
With RS facing, cast off center 36 sts, pattern to end
Complete to match first side reversing shapings.

Purl until there are 5 stitches left, w&t.
Knit until there are 5 stitches left, w&t.
Purl until there are an additional 6 stitches left (11 total).

At this point, I believe you'd knit until there are 6 stitches on the RH needle, turn and purl these, then knit a row to pick up the wraps.

Make sense?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

I've never done a shaped shoulder before, so I just want to make sure that converting won't harm some intended shaping.

In the original pattern on the row where you cast off 4 sts, and then purl to the end (it would be the 4th row of the pattern), occurs one row lower then the last 6 stitches that you cast off (row 5). Is this intended to be lower for some sort of neck shaping? Or is this just the nature of step stair shoulder shaping?

____------_____
R4.....R5.....R3....------
..........................R1 (R2 is on the other shoulder)
Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

It was a little confusing for me, too. If I had it in front of me I could be more sure. If it's at the neck edge, then it is for neck shaping, and if so, then you would cast those stitches off since they're not part of the shoulder.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for your help, but I'm just not sure this is right. You'd have to atleast knit another 10 (and not just six at the end) like you said: "At this point, I believe you'd knit until there are 6 stitches on the RH needle, turn and purl these, then knit a row to pick up the wraps." to keep the original stitch count in place, and I don't want to bind off any stitches so that I can keep them all live for the 3 needle bind off, and then knitting the collar without having to pick up stitches. Also I feel that row 4 being lower than row 5 is important because otherwise the pattern would have just said: "turn and bind off 10 more stitches", rather than having you bind off 4, turn and then bind off the remaining six, which causes row 4 to be lower than row 5 (as shown in my crude diagram above)

I'm just not sure how to keep this shaping intact while converting the whole thing to short rows.

Do you (or anyone else) have any further insite on this? I don't want to give up!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Having the pattern off by one row really won't make a difference in the shoulder. A few stitches of shaping won't make all that much difference. I often don't bother with shaping the shoulders in order to do an easy 3-needle bind off.

That said, let's see if we can figure this out. Since you reverse the row you start on for the shoulder short rows, you'll start on the purl side.

After you do the first two rows, you have 5 stitches at each edge unworked. If you start with a purl row, w&t, then knit across until there are 5 left, you will have the ws facing you for the next row.
Then they want you to bind off 6 at the arm edge and work 10 more for the shoulder, right? I think what you have to do is to purl across until there are 11 stitches unworked. This will be at the right shoulder of the sweater as you wear it.

You're supposed to bind off 6 more and knit so that there are 10 stitches on the right needle. You can't do that and keep the stitches live, so you'd have to knit across until there are 16 on the right needle, turn and purl until there are 6 left.

So you have the 10 on the right needle, turn and work until there are 4 new unworked stitches, turn and work the last 6 again. Then turn and pick up all the wraps.

This is why I often avoid the shaping.

IngridKH on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
ittybittypretty (04-03-2009)
Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

haha..I see your point about avoiding the shaping, I'll have to play with it and see what I like. Thanks for all your help.