Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
paulamw
Casting On

Newbie question
Hi - I have just found this wonderful place and good timing for it too. I have just started knitting!

I have a counting stitches question - when I cast on for the first time (long tail cast on) there are two loops on the needle. Does that count as two or one stitch?? I think this has been my overall issue...because at the end of the row I really get messed up and end up with two more stitches.

Would love any feedback or links to videos -
TIA
Paula
paulamw is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Each loop counts as a stitch. Almost all castons begin with a slipknot, that's casting on one stitch.

Click on the View Videos tab at the top of the page and look under Cast Ons.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
paulamw
Casting On

Thank you Sue I will check out the video -
Paula
paulamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Thestrel
Casting On

If you're following the video here for the long tail cast-on and doing as it's done, there will be 2 stitches on the initial cast on (since the way it is demonstrated doesn't use a slip knot though you can start it with a slip knot.) Make sure you're counting the actual stitches on your needle and not the number of times you make the motion of casting on.

If you are ending up with 2 extra stitches on your row , then it sounds like you may also be twisting the first stitch, which can make it look like there are 2 stitches on the needle when it's actually one. Sometimes the loop will come up around the needle on the first stitch, since it's looser on the needle

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
MCrowe
Casting On

Beginner question too
Okay, I am a beginner with this- though I did knit when I was a very young girl. Anyway, I am using size 8 knitting needles and my first attemp to make these dish clothes. I don't know if it is the yarn or what- but it seems to split as I knit- the pattern called for cotton worsted yarn-which I am using. Even after I cast on my stitches- and begin to knit it is extremely hard to knit. I know earlier- someone told me my stitches are too tight- but how do you know what is the right tension so that the stitches don't look so loose?? I don't want to give up! Thanks- Maureen
MCrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Size 8 needles should work well with worsted weight cotton. Some yarn is splitty, and you just have to take a little more care with it. Cotton is not stretchy, either, so it often feels like it has no give to it the way other yarns may.

Make sure that you let the needles determine the size of the stitch. Don't tighten your stitches as you knit them. Just let them slide.

Another reason for really tight stitches is knitting through the back of the stitch by mistake. It makes the next row very difficult.

If you're still having problems, maybe try a size 9 needle and see if that helps, or cast on with a larger needle and then switch to your 8s. Everyone knits at their own tension--just try to relax and enjoy.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote