Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Sock yarn aside....
Sock yarn aside... (as per my first post) I'm wondering what everyone does when purchasing yarn.
Do you have the pattern first and then look for the yarn...?
Or do you buy some yarn first and hope you can find the pattern to match?
Sometimes in a yarn store, I see a yarn that I really like but don't know what I would use it for so I leave it behind.... aaaauuuukkkk!
Other times I will have a pattern but can't find the yarn I want to go with it....
Any good advice for me?
Thanks,
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

I always have at least a general idea of what I'm going to use my yarn for before I buy it (e.g. I'll use this to make a shawl, etc). The only times that I've not done so, I ended up not using the yarn so I learned my lesson.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyFirelyght For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-04-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I used to do a lot of buying yarn without knowing what pattern I was going to use...but I find, more so these days, that I prefer to have yarn for things I want to make....I have piles of patterns, and yarn set aside for said patterns, but I try to hold back when it comes to buying yarn just for the sake of it...it gets costly, and sometimes, by the time you get to it...you need more than you got, and it has gotten discontinued or different dye lotted in the mean time...

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-05-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Both. Sometimes you just can't resist a yarn or color, but it is easier if you have a pattern first so you know how much to get, what weight, etc.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-05-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
Some yarn just begs to go home with you and you find something to do with it.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-05-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

When I first started knitting, I bought yarn to "stock up" on, so I'd have some when I wanted to knit. For a while, that was good, as I was mostly knitting little tiny things like a camera case or a little tote...little projects to learn cables or stitch patterns, etc.

As a result, I have 1 or 2 skeins of a bunch of Bernat Softee Chunky and Vanna's Choice, a bunch of novelty yarn, all in a variety of colors (none of which seem to complement the others!).

So, now that I've been knitting for a couple of years, I find that there are certain yarns I like better than what I have, and I'm feeling guilty for having such a big stash of stuff I don't have any particular patterns for...and which I don't have enough of any one color or style to do much of anything (yes, I bought One Skein Wonders! :-D)

All that to say...it's fine and good to buy a few skeins of stuff and wait till you have a pattern for it--but don't spend a fortune that way, or you'll find yourself with a ton of yarn that's not what you want, but you feel to guilty to buy more with all that just sitting there.

So, for the moment, I'm working from stash or buying for specific projects!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-05-2009)
Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
For me it just depends on if I'm looking specifically for a pattern or not. More times than not, I find yarn I absolutely love but don't have anything paritcular in mind for it. I will usually buy enough for a scarf at least - or fingerless glove and a hat, or a stuffed animal or something! The one skein wonder books are really good for ideas on smaller projects. Plus I love to mix and match fibers, so I can have a lot of one balls in my stash.

Each to his/her own though. Some people are monogamous knitters, and others (like me) seem to have quite a few projects going at the same time. I always have at least two - one that requires my attention and one that's mindless so I can still knit in social situations. I've been knitting (and crocheting again) for about five years. It's amazing how quickly your stash can grow, if nothing else from leftovers from projects you done.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-05-2009)
Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I do both. Sometimes I buy yarn with a project in mind- but the stash started when Walmart changed their yarn department. They put tons of yarn on clearance, and I bought as many skeins as they had in a dye lot of ones I liked. (that way I got lots of Caron Simply Soft, Lion Jiffy, and Bernat Softee Chunky. I also got some wool and chenille.)

That started the slippery slope. I got some deals @ Hobby Lobby, and once I started knitting socks and visiting a real yarn store I was like "Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?"

I also knew the company I was working for was closing, and wanted to build up a little stash for the lean times. I now have a Rubbermaid tub and another smaller box full, plus a bag of cottons. (and a knitting basket of projects full, and a couple bags with enough for afghans) It's nice because I have lots to choose from with what I have and it makes not being able to buy yarn much now bearable. Sometimes I like to just "reorganize" the stash so I can look over it. I also have it all in Ravelry (mostly) so I know how many yards I have of everything for projects. ETA the yarn I buy because I love and stash but I don't have a project in mind for is always from local stores. If I order from KnitPicks or something, I always am ordering something for a specific project.

I still can't pass up sock yarn on sale if I have a few dollars though.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!

Last edited by Simply_Renee : 04-06-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simply_Renee For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-05-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Another reason to love socks. I've recently started buying yarn again and have a hard time spending a lot of money at one time for yarn. With sock yarn you can spend as little as $2 a skein and so can have a pair of socks for $4. I will stock up on sock yarn when I find colors I love or fibers that I find interesting. I can also shop locally and leave the yarn store for $10-15 and enough yarn for a project (more socks).
I have a lot of odds and ends of yarn in my stash from years ago when I bought all the yarn I've knit with for 30 years and am having difficulty coming up with a use for it.
TEMA (04-06-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I now try to have a project in mind when I buy yarn. What if I don't buy enough?!! It's not easy. Sometimes a yarn just wants to follow you home.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
TEMA (04-06-2009)