Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
WolfWalker
Ribbing the Cuff

Need help with an entrelac tutorial
I'm knitting a baby blanket for a friend to give her at her baby shower (she's almost 6 months pregnant) and am using the tutorial found here:

http://wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/in...npath/2006/01/

I'm having a problem though with the part "3rd Pass - Just Blocks" and I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help me.

The part I'm stuck on is in the picking up and purling the stitches. Since this "pass" starts on the wrong side I'm thinking that it means that I'm to pick up a stitch and then purl it, pick up the next stitch and purl it, etc. That way the working yarn is in the proper place for the next row. (If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me!)

But I'm just finding it very difficult to pick up a stitch and purl it. I'm not sure if, since these are supposed to be purl stitches I'm picking up which way the yarn should go through the "gap"..from front to back or back to front, and when I did manage to get this row done those stitches looked really loose. I even had to use a crochet hook to pick up these stitches.....which I found weird because I do know how to pick stitches up. :(

I thought that maybe I could just turn my work over and going left to right pick up a stitch , pass it back to my left needle and knit it, then pick up another, pass it to my left needle and knit it, etc, but that's even more fiddly!

Help please!

Thanks,
Debra in NC
WolfWalker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No you just pick up the sts purlwise. 'Pick up and knit/purl' is a holdover term from a 2 step method where you pick up all the stitches with the left needle, then knit or purl them across. Most people just do a one step process of picking up the stitches on the right needle. So with the WS facing, insert the needle from the back to the front, wrap the needle as if to purl and bring the new stitch to the back. Repeat.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
WolfWalker (04-05-2009)
Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
WolfWalker
Ribbing the Cuff

But if I pick up all the stitches and then purl them, the purl bump will be on the wrong side....it'll be on the stockinette side of the blanket. That's why I was thinking it must mean to pick up a stitch and purl it, then pick up another and purl........ here's what the pattern says:

P1
Pick up and purl 7 stitches, turn
K8, turn
P7, P2tog, turn
K8, turn

It's the January 27th post from this blog:

http://wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/in...npath/2006/01/

In the picture there showing the completion of "3rd Pass - Just Blocks" the 3rd pass started with knitting the gray block on the left, from the purl side.

Debra in NC
Old 04-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

If you're picking up the sts purlwise you need to have the purl side facing you. Then the purl bumps won't be showing on the knit side.

WolfWalker (04-05-2009)
Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Anarfea
1st Leg of the Journey

Sometimes maybe it helps just to see another way of explaining things. I checked out two or three entrelanc tutorials before I felt like I really understood.

Here's the one I liked the best.

And when I pick up and purl, I do it in one step, like Suzeeq explained. If you do it with the purl side facing you you get these two parallel rows of purl bumps, one in each color, on the wrong side.

Find me on Ravelry as TheNatKnits
Anarfea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anarfea For This Useful Post:
WolfWalker (04-05-2009)
Old 04-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
WolfWalker
Ribbing the Cuff

So then what this pattern is telling me to do is to just pick up this next set (and the others eventually upcoming for this set of blocks) of stitches purlwise, meaning that I should pick them up from the "right" side (this is the side facing away from me)? Then I just turn my work and knit them, and then continue on with the pattern?

Wow! If this is correct I wish the pattern's wording could be changed to just read "Pick up X number of stitches purlwise"!

Thanks so much!!!
Debra in NC
Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

The RS/right side is the side with the knits, the WS is the side with the purl bumps. To pick up purlwise at this point, you want to be looking at the purl side. Then when they're picked up, you turn and knit them.

It's pretty conventional for a lot of patterns to say 'pick up and purl'; as I mentioned, eons ago when a lot of us learned to knit, it was assumed that was a 2 step operation. The phrase has just stuck around, even though we've changed how it's done.

WolfWalker (04-05-2009)