Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Winnipeg
Casting On

How much to increase raglan sleeve length?
I am making the mary Maxim reindeer sweater with the raglan sleeves for my friend. Sadly they live two provinces away so I am unable to measure him in person.

The pattern says that for the size 42 ... the sleeve seam length should be 17 3/4".

My friend's arm length from his armpit to wrist is 25" (he has really long arms).

When I put the front and back pieces on my husband I noticed that the underarm of the sweater sits about 3" below his actual underarm (to allow for arm movement I am guessing).

for 1 inch = 4 rows

How many rows would you estimate that I need to make the sleeves long enough for his arms. Do I account for 3 inch difference in the underarm? Or how do I have him measure it so that I get this correct, as once it is completed I will be shipping it out there so it has to be correct the first time I make it.

any suggestions and advice welcomed

Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
This is a hard one. Normally, a sleeve is lengthened before beginning the armhole shaping. That is, for 'set in' sleeves. For raglan sleeves, it could be just the same.

How tall is this man? Just average 6' tall? Or, 6'4"? 6'8"?
If he's a 6'4" or taller man...he will not be an average armpit-to-base-of-neck length either.

Remember this, the number of rows you add to the length of the raglan region of the sleeve must also be added to the raglan region of the body, too. Both FRONTS and BACK.

Is this sweater a surprise? If not, why not ask him to measure himself from armpit to base of his neck? This will give you a fairly close idea how long he is along the raglan line.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
crocee
Knitting the Flap

Ummm, I am thinking that this measurement is not the length of the arm but rather the length of the seam AROUND the arm where it meets the shoulder. I am 5'5 and only weigh 125lbs. My arms are longer than 17 3/4" but the length AROUND my arm where it meets my shoulder is only 10-12". DH has 15" around his but has a 33" arm length. I haven't ever knitted a sweater so my train could very well be on the wrong track.
Andi
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Winnipeg
Casting On

He is probably 6'2" ... it is for my friend's husband ... and yes he knows about it. He has lost a lot of weight due to illness so although he is tall he is quite thin.

I will have my friend measure him again for the raglan line .... although I think it should be okay because it fit my husband fine and he is more muscular and is a bigger size ... his arms just aren't as long ...
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Winnipeg
Casting On

he is about 13"
the pieces on the sweater for this measurement are 17"
Old 04-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Anarfea
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not sure whether this guy has any other raglan sweaters that fit him, but if he does, you might be better off asking him to measure that sleave rather than his actual arm.

Find me on Ravelry as TheNatKnits
Anarfea is offline   Reply With Quote