Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
cjknitter
Casting On

Barbie doll clothes yarn advice needed
Hello all,

I am embarking on knitting some barbie clothes and I have found some fantastic patterns but I seem to be getting no where as far as these clothes fitting the doll - lol. There is no gauge listed and I have nothing to compare to since I have never had a barbie dress before.

I was wondering what everyone uses for yarn. The pattern just states 4 ply yarn. I have used worsted weight - dress was WAY TO BIG - lol. I used a lighter weight (don't have original label) and that was too small. I just purchased some #1 (superfine) and I'm going to try that.

Any suggestions what be appreciated.

Thanks,

c.j.
cjknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Please link to the pattern if it's a free one on the internet. It helps us help you.

I looked up Barbie patterns and most of them say fingering weight and small needles. The number of plies is a less useful term since modern yarns can be various plies for each weight.

This one you can use any yarn, but have to do a gauge swatch to see how many to cast on for your particular yarn. You may have to do that for your pattern since it doesn't say what yarn.
http://tiajudy.com/barbtube.htm

Here's a few patterns if you're interested -
http://barbiebasics.tripod.com/knits.html
http://www.abc-knitting-patterns.com/1070.html
http://www.abc-knitting-patterns.com/1071.html

http://www.geocities.com/iluvdlls/knitstr.htm

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
cjknitter
Casting On

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the response. I hit a goldmine of patterns on this site (I hope to make tons of these dresses). I found in on Knitting Pattern Central (newly added patterns section).

http://www.stickatillbarbie.se/Patte...%20English.htm

I now know that when they mention fingering yarn its for #1 weight yarns and so that issue I resolved.

Check out pattern #145.

I am assuming since there are 4 different contributors for these patterns that fluffy yarn means fun fur?????? I've been comparing the different pattern directions for one knitter to the next.

But I am still lost As to what 4 ply yarn I should use.

thanks jan,

c.j.
The Following User Says Thank You to cjknitter For This Useful Post:
sue in canada (04-11-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I've never made barbie doll clothes, but it seems that sock yarn would be perfect for that.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

This is a translation which can often cause problems. So let's work backwards and go by the needle size and see if that helps.. 4mm is a US 6 and 2.25 mm is a US 1.

They are using the US 6 on the fun fur and then switch to the US 1. A US 1 is usually used with thin yarns so probably fingering weight would work. That's what you are using now with the #1 designation.

This is a fitted dress so it's supposed to be rather tight, but if you find it too tight you can go up a needle size. That's usually the best way to do it rather than changing yarns.

Thanks for the link btw. That's a lot of Barbie clothes!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
cjknitter
Casting On

thank you Arielluria. I purchased some #1 yarns today and a skein of sock yarn and I think it's helping.

Your welcome Jan. That is a ton of barbie clothes. Remember the days of the sears toy catalogs ???? Well I can envision a young girl spending hours on that link (website page) and making out her wish list for xmas. Just think of all the knitting someone would have to do - lol. I know if I was a child again, it sure would have been fun to see all those beautiful barbie clothes.

Thanks for your advise.

Best wishes,

c.j.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I used to love Barbies when I was young. I often made them clothes myself, but I didn't knit then so they were mostly fabric and I didn't follow patterns. It was all a guessing game.

My girls loved them, too. We have something like 50+ Barbies in storage.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I just wanted to say my mom made my sister & I a bunch of crochet barbie clothes. The yarn was either crochet thread (for some of the dresses) and sport weight for the others (ponchos, pants, etc.) We loved them very much.

I even found a vintage book on ebay (the same one!) and she made some for my daughter when she was little.

Have fun!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
What a great link for Barbie clothes, thanks. You could also try baby yarn.